Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had two rescue litters born 3 weeks apart. I kept 3 girls from the first litter and I am keeping 1 girl from the 2nd. I want to introduce them, but I want to make sure that it will be okay to do this. The 3 girls are 8 weeks old on Sunday and 2nd lone baby will be 5 weeks old on Sunday. Should I hold off for a while even though she will be alone? Or should I try it out and see how it goes?

·
Registered
539 Posts
At that age, it's typically pretty easy to introduce, but you can wait until your younger girl is 8 weeks old if you are worried about the size difference.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I don't think intro'ing them will be a problem. It's females that are 12 weeks and older that typically won't accept girls younger than 12 weeks. Right now all four of yours are younger then 12 weeks and are still babies/kids so they should accept the youngest one no problem. I would try intros sooner than later while they're still little.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I wouldn't worry. None of my rats came to me at the same time, intros have all gone great. And at that age they just seem to mush really well together.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That makes me so happy. I didn't want her to be alone. Intros will be happening very soon. Does it work the same way for males too? I kind of have my eye on one of their brothers, but my male is 5 months old.

·
Registered
383 Posts
This coincides with my original situation nicely. I bought Loki at 5 weeks old and introduced her to my new home of Latte at 9 weeks and Penumbra at 8 weeks. They get along great now.

They got along okay when I first brought home Loki. She and Penumbra actually hung around together a lot. Latte would skulk by herself in a different part of the cage. We called her our emo teenager. But Latte and Penumbra would sleep together and leave Loki by herself. I watched their social dynamic with interest. Sometimes they all three slept together. Sometimes Latte would sleep by herself. Sometimes Loki would. It was interesting.

Something else that happened was that Loki would squeak bloody murder sometimes. I witnessed Latte and Penumbra when I first got them. They would wrestle and then the loser would squeak in defeat while the winner groomed her. When Loki lost these battles, her squeak wasn't short. I had to barge in to stop bullying…or so I thought.

One day while playing in the bathroom, I watched Loki chase Penumbra around and keep pouncing on her rump. Penumbra had enough of this and turned around. This caused Loki to squeak bloody murder. Oh, that's how you are, Loki. You're one of those types to instigate something and then whine when things don't go your way. I then stopped worrying about her position in the social order. She got herself into these messes, so she has to deal with the consequences.

I wouldn't have concerns with a 5- and an 8-week-old rat now.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I introduced a 6 week old to my group of 4.5 month old females... Went along swimmingly, but I think the long drive was what did it... My rats seem to think that a drive in the car is the apocalypse. So instead of worrying about the new babe running around and causing general chaos, they were lamenting their supposed impending doom.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts