Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

So I currently have two adult rats, Chloe and Clarence. Chloe just had her first mammary gland tumor removed and is thankfully healing very nicely :) And Clarence is neutered (just to throw that in there).

Although I would like to think we'll have our ratties for another 2+ years its crossed my mind that Chloe could be a little bit older than Clarence and so I've thought about introducing two new ratties into the mix. That way if anything happens to either of them, we'll have companions.

Right now I'm in college and Clarence and Chloe are at home, I am living in an apartment style housing and already have an idea of where I would put a rat cage. My room is completely carpet though so I may put towels or pee pee pads down just to prevent too much peeing in one spot (when letting them have supervised play time). I would love to have Chloe and Clarence with me but they like having their separate cages which are both too big for me to have together. I also do not plan on introducing the new guys until they were at least 4 months old, any suggestions on what age is good to introduce new rats?

So long story short I was going to wait a little while before possibly looking for another companion. Friday I went to petland just to see the ratties and met this little cutie, most likely about 5 weeks old. I went again today (Saturday) and unintentionally playing with the same little guy again. The reason why I picked him up was because he didn't mind me doing so and was reaching for my hand. While in my hands he made a little clicking noise and started licking my wrist (I would like to think he was giving me kisses).

So long story short although I was honestly wanting to wait I kind of want to adopt this little guy because i don't want him to be fed to a snake. There was another one who seemed fairly friendly and seemed at least a week or two older than the other. I wouldn't want the little baby to be a single rat so I know to get another.

So the entire point to this is what kind of food am I suppose to feed? If I do end up adopting two of them I want to be able to give them the best diet possible and environment. I know at least what our two like but they were both full grown when I adopted them so babies are a whole new territory. I am researching on different things but I figured I'd ask here too!

Thank you for reading and here's two pictures :)

IMG_3788.jpg IMG_3836.jpg

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just got a 4 week old and a 6 week old, both females I already have an 11month old female, I posted in the forum as well because I haven't had them this young before, I have been told a high protein diet, and they need company! They need another little one to play with and cuddle with and stuff so make sure you get two, today I had all the girls out to meet for the first time and they all got along pretty well, my oldest, Ella just ignored them as they jumped all over her, it really just depends on how your older two are, I am keeping the little ones separate from Ella till they get bigger and hopefully move them together, that's all the advice I can give you, I hope some of it helped

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just got a 4 week old and a 6 week old, both females I already have an 11month old female, I posted in the forum as well because I haven't had them this young before, I have been told a high protein diet, and they need company! They need another little one to play with and cuddle with and stuff so make sure you get two, today I had all the girls out to meet for the first time and they all got along pretty well, my oldest, Ella just ignored them as they jumped all over her, it really just depends on how your older two are, I am keeping the little ones separate from Ella till they get bigger and hopefully move them together, that's all the advice I can give you, I hope some of it helped

Thank you! I need to get all that together, unfortunately mentioning it to my parents they would very much prefer for me to wait on adopting two more ratties. But if he is still there within a week or two I may attempt to push a little harder. I know they need a buddy and there was one that seemed too young to be on his own just yet.

But anywho thank you so much! I am excited and would love to be able to bring two new ones to our older ratties and see how they greet them :) it would be a few weeks if not months. Good luck with your little ones!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts