Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far I'm not noticing a whole lot of telling traits of their wild heritage, except some small things such as their climbing skills-we also wonder if their eyesight maybe a little better. Once those eyes were open it seems they went from little wiggling blobs straight to agile climbers.

We have been working since eyes open on adding new things to their environment daily, which seems to help over come the natural fear of new things. They are all over any thing new added to the cage and seem to be checking if it's an item for climbing, stealing, wrestling or sleeping on. Noises is the other thing we have been working on more as of recently. WE have been working on talking louder around them, ringing bells, clapping sounds ect. They don't mind background noise-like tv or music. Clapping or other sharp noises sends every one into hiding. About 50% of them immediately come back out to see what it was. The others are more cautious.

Our original girls, when young were quite happy to sit in our pockets while we played video games or watched tv. They would peek out and climb on our shoulders and then go back to the pocket where it was safe. The half wilds are not pocket rats. They are on top of your head, down your sleeves, on my shoulder, using my hair as a climbing tool. If there is more than one of us humans available, they will be running between us all. They don't really stay in one place for longer than 2 seconds unless there is food being offered. They are also far bigger chewers-I'll be surprised if the lava ledges survive much longer. They love those things.

Picture is of FizzlyBear, one of the boys.
View attachment 183866

·
Registered
479 Posts
Sounds a lot like our babies actually! They were climbing things before their eyes opened and once they were they scaled the small wire cage we had them in! By 3wks they were in a big birdcage and it took maybe ten minutes for one to get to the top? If that! Ours love running around, both boys and girls even at 7wks and ther favorite game is escape through the open door when the human is distracted. I just love seeing your pictures though! Agouti is one of my favorite and I can't wait to see how your halfsies coats keep changing compared to our domestic agoutis.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
They're gorgeous!

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
So adorable! Mine are huge climbers too. They scale their cage like crazy, climbing the walls. Mine are great at sitting still though. Quite a few are content to just chill on my shoulder lol I love that you play with feathers with them, that is so cute.

·
Registered
46 Posts
awww they look just like my baby wildie! she's a great climber to, and she's so fast :) but apart from that, she doesn't act wild. i think she thinks she's a human haha

1 - 6 of 6 Posts