Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my smallest adult girl had babies 4 weeks ago. Prior to her getting preggers she was shy, but sweet. She'd lick yogurt off of my fingers and sit on my shoulder to snuggle etc. now the first bite was totally my fault so I shouldn't count that one. Her babies were 1 week old and I was putting some fleece strips into her cage and I probably got too close to the nest, so like I said totally my fault. Since then I've always coaxed her out of the cage and into another cage before interacting with the babies and yet she has still bitten me (deep enough to draw blood, one probably should have had a stitch, but I didn't want anything to happen to her as a result of going to the dr). Also two other times seemingly at random! Once I was giving her a treat - she has always taken treats from me with no issues, so I suppose it could have been an accidental bite, but it was also hard & deep & the other time she was just sitting in my lap and I was petting her!! What do I do?!?! What am I doing wrong??? I don't want to re-home her, but I have a 5 year old son (he's incredibly intelligent & always follows my rules about t our pets), but he's a kid. I can't have a pet that could potentially harm my son!Advice/suggestions/comments welcome!

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's most probably maternal aggression. So long as she has the babies she'll probably be like that. In a few weeks when they're weaned and gone she'll most likely go back to being lovey dovey

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We were planning on keeping one of her babies, is that a bad idea? Will she remain aggressive after they're weaned??

·
Registered
365 Posts
I shouldn't think so. It should just become a member of the new mischief.

Keep an eye on her, make sure that you watch her body language. If you see that she's eyeing you with narrowed eyes, has pulled her head to the side kind of angled at your hand, she's about to nip. Withdraw your hand and analyze the situation for clues to why that might be.

You might not see anything, but then again you might.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much! I sure hope it's just maternal! She was such a sweetheart before the babies came!! I'll keep you posted!

·
Registered
870 Posts
As a new rat owner, my sister adopted a mother and litter once. The mother bit her so often she was afraid of her. We found a more experienced rat keeper that kept her til we could take the babies from her. My sister was afraid to have her back, so I took her. She was never aggressive to me. She became quite a little love without a litter to protect.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts