Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I found out today that the new boys are only at 5 weeks. Remy is 4 days younger than Templeton and Vincent. Is there anything special I need to do for them since they are younger? I've watched all of them eat, but I'm not sure if Remy and Vincent are drinking. I might be paranoid, but I'm worried.

·
Registered
335 Posts
My girls were 4 weeks old when I got them. I'd say the biggest thing to make sure of is that their cage is safe and secure for them. Make sure the bar spacing is 1/2 inch or less like in the Critter Nation. I don't know what kind cage setup you have for them, but the CN works fine for babies. It's good to have more than one water bottle available. I've got 3 in my cage. And don't forget litter boxes! I've got 2 of those, one on the top level and one on the middle level.

Feed them a good high protein diet like Oxbow Mouse & Young Rat to get them started on good nutrition. And give them plenty of toys and things to because they will be active and curious. They're babies so everything is directed at learning about their world. Handle them often to build a bond quickly. And make sure you have the number and address of a vet that takes care of rats programmed in your phone in the event of illness or injury.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Currently they are living in my "hospital" cage, which has bars smaller than 1/2 inch. I was worried about them squeezing through the bars of the bigger cage. We will be buying the addition to the critter nation (once I get a paycheck, lol), and then we will close it off so that the boys live up top and the girls will have the bottom. When I got them they were living in a giant tank (seriously had to be at least 100 gallons), so I don't think they quite understand the concept of levels. Their current cage has 3 levels, and I almost never see them go up anywhere. They mostly prefer the igloo. I gave them toilet paper rolls that they play in as tubes, and they have a wheel that they have yet to use. They won't take treats yet. I'm going to be making them some fleece hammocks and shopping for chew toys tomorrow.

They are on Oxbow, we have a vet, and they spend a few hours a day out of the cage with me. Remy and Vincent just sit where ever I put them, and Templeton runs around and explores.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Oh my goodness! They are precious! If you've only had them a few days, they're probably just still sorta in shock from being moved to a new home. My girls literally piled up in a corner behind the litter box for almost a week. They wouldn't take treats from me and I didn't see them drinking or eating. Their water bottle was only a few inches from where they were piled up, so I just trusted that they were coming out at night and getting what they needed. Finally at about a week, they began venturing out a little and by two weeks, they were starting to explore their cage. They have a DCN so they had a lot to explore! I don't think they went to the upper levels though until about the third week. After that though, it was full on and they just opened up and started going everywhere! Just give your babies time to settle in. I'm sure they're probably drinking and eating at night when it's dark and quiet.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Mine where about 5 weeks when I got them and I gave them a bit of scrambled egg, fish or chicken once a week for a few weeks just for a bit of extra protein while they went through the growth spurt.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally caught Remy drinking water! I say "caught" cause I've never seen a rat look so guilty to be seen drinking water, lol. Now I just have to catch Vincent drinking and I can sleep better at night.

It's funny, since they are not used to the cage, they go up to the food bowl, and then wait several seconds for something to stop them before taking a piece of food. It's a very cautious exercise, whereas the girls can empty their food bowl and start new hoards of food in less than a minute.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts