Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i got two 7 week old boys last week, while link (the big one) is drinking and eating fine, bleu (the runt) isnt really drinking any water, ive done the skin test and he seems dehydrated. Ive put in some water fruits in for them to try and help.
They both sleep quite alot, and bleu is quite talkative and a happy rat, he doesnt seem ill at all and doesnt have any breathing problems. But he doesnt seem to be growing like hs brother who has grown so much this week. I had planned on taking them to the vet but I've just lost my job and cant afford to take them for a check up.
Do you know what could be wrong? Or what i could give him to get him to drink or even grow abit better?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Try making a sort of tea for your rat. Peppermint tea is something my rats like period you could also put a single pallet inside a bowl of water. Flavoring the water could encourage him to drink.

·
Registered
Cloud and Dew (Pearl Merle and American Mink, both with Irish markings)!
507 Posts
If he’s smaller then Link, then you might want to give him extra vitamins and supplements! I’m not sure why Bleu won’t drink water, but you need to take him to the vet because he might be sick. ☹

·
Registered
745 Posts
Try wetting (as in saturate) the end of a washcloth and letting Blue chew on it, while you hold the cloth. He'll get some water that way and it will help promote positive interaction between the two of you.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Everyone else has great suggestions- I recommend flavoring the water a bit as well. You can but a bit of peppermint in it, or a tiny bit of vanilla.

If you use a water bottle, it is also possible that it is difficult for Bleu to move the ball in the water bottle, or to simply understand how to drink, so you could also try to offer water in a bowl to see if that helps. (I don’t think this is the case but you never know!)

He (might) be a bit ill, so keep a watch on him, but everyone gave very good suggestions to try!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts