Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at Walmart today and noticed they now carry this Rat Food, Does anyone know anything about it?
It has 16.5 % protein
5.5% fat
my rats nibble on them, I could probably work them into a larger % of daily diet.
I don't want to type all the ingrediants but the first ones are corn, wheat, soybeans, fishmeal,molasses,limestone followed by alot of vitamins.
Spider

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
That was the first food we gave the rats, I think, back when it was just Bacardi and Perry. They liked it, but I'm quite sure that's mainly because it's very sweet. (See how high up the molasses is in the list?)

Personally I really doubt it's all that great of a food. Maybe a block as a snack now and again.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
If it can be avoided, corn shouldn't be the first ingredient. I'm not sure about limestone being in there at all O_O And the molasses being a top ingredient is probably pretty bad too. Some rats can get diabetic when exposed to too much sugar in their diets.

The protein and fat levels sounds fine. But it claims to be for BOTH rats and mice, and both of those have different nutrition requirements :/ I don't know, doesn't sound that great.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I think the limestone is supposed to supply calcium. Hopefully it's digestible. :?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Personally, I agree with Forensic. Maybe it's ok a a rare snack, but if you can get your hands on a better lab block, that would be better. At least that way you know they're getting healthy food, whereas this 8 in 1...who really knows? I think Mazuri is easily available at most pet food stores, like Petsmart.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Spider said:
corn, wheat, soybeans, fishmeal,molasses,limestone followed by alot of vitamins.
Spider
All of those ingredients bother me. mostly the fishmeal *shudders* I can't imagine something tasting good if it has dead ground up fish in it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Fishmeal can be anything such as guts, bones, etc. If i remember right. And none of those look too good.

The Best rat food there is is Harlan Teklad. Buyig directly from the website is costly and in big bulk, so you can get smaller bags of it through Kims Arks Rescue Store, or theratshop.com

1 - 7 of 7 Posts