of the female that I chose to get.

9 week old Eden is a black self dumbo,
very very VERY sweet and calm. The one concerning thing about Eden is
the fact that she limps. She refuses to put weight on her hind right
foot, but other than that she seems absolutely healthy. It isn't
bruised, it isn't swollen, but it's clear she has a limp because she
hops. It doesn't seem to hinder her movement as I let her out on the
floor so I could see if she wanted to walk, and she was pretty
curious (not zooming around but looking at things)

I just thought I'd mention I have owned 9 rats before these two xD I'm not sure if it was apparent or not ;; I've gone through special needs rats, elderly, really young rats...disease...I've been through it all!.
Anyways, I wanted to give it a few days before
calling my vet, but I work at a vet who has treated a few exotics
with medication, slings for broken bones, and we do more also. They
aren't really trained in rodents but if I needed a second opinion I
would go, but I wanted to ask you guys first.

What can I do for her? Do you think
it's broken? Should I worry since she's so young? She's just about 9
weeks old from the looks of her. I will attach a few photos of the
little bugger just for cuteness.

Oh and she is in a tank at the moment
with the top off, and a little fan attached. I wanted her on solid
ground so she could cage rest, and she is on fluffy bedding.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
She may have injured it recently but it could also be a birth deformity or early injury that had never healed. i would either have a good feel if you know what your feeling for our get the vet to check her. If she wasn't so young i would treat with anti inflammatory and give her rat for a few days and expect it to improve but if it's an old injury or birth defect then it may need sorting or it could cause her issues long term

·
Registered
244 Posts
I agree with Isamurat that it would be great to have a vet where you work check her out. Xrays would probably be good, too. Sometimes it's helpful to use dental Xray equipment since our rats are much smaller than dogs or cats. :D ----you probably already know this

I can't quite tell from what you wrote: Are you keeping her in a tank by herself? I think she'd be much happier with the other rat that you got with her. I guess you're trying to keep her quiet in case it helps her heal, though.

Also, you're probably already aware that aquariums don't have much air circulation. Is that why you have a fan? ....and then I worry about too much of a draft.... :) ---I'm sure you're aware of this too!

Let us know what the vet says if you do take her in. It would be interesting to hear more about what's causing her to limp---whether it's a broken bone or pulled tendon/muscle.

She sure looks like a cutie! Thanks for posting the photos of Eden. Beautiful name too!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She's actually with a friend a little smaller than her! I purchased the two of them together knowing she'd be alone for a little while if otherwise...seeing as my main cage has 1/2 inch wire spacing D; We have improvement though! Eden is walking with a slight limp, and she's actually keeping a cute little nest for the two of them to sleep in...I watched her put it together today. She's not out of the woods at all! And in fact...I really want her to put more weight on. I'm worried she isn't eating enough..so I was thinking for a day or two I can put her alone and watch her like a hawk for signs of eating (aka counting out her pieces of food) to make sure she's eating x: May or may not actually do this...we will see! I'm hopeful for my baby

1 - 5 of 5 Posts