Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

My name's Fiona, I'm a Brit living in Austria and I recently adopted two lovely older girlies, Dora and Flash. I had rats as a kid and thought it was time to get some more, and they're great!

I have a quick question for you all (apologies if this is not allowed in the first post and feel free to delete if so!). Flash has a few scabs around her neck. She is probably around 2 years old, and I remember my previous rats getting a bit scabby when they got that age, so at first I wasn't worried (my mum works at a vets and they confirmed it is pretty common in older rats and that there's not a huge amount that can be done). But Dora (who is definitely the dominant one) seems to practice some kind of 'extreme grooming' and bites the scabs off. Flash sometimes squeaks pretty loudly at this and occasionally tries to fight back but Dora continues. The other day, I looked at Flash to find one of the scabs was bleeding, not badly and I cleaned it up and it's been fine since. But it made me wonder whether the scabs are actually bite marks from Dora? They both came to me from a cage of six, and Dora's sister (and according to the owner, her partner in rattie crime in the cage) sadly died a few days before I got them, I don't know whether this is affecting her behaviour.

Has anyone got any explanations, or suggestions to how I can stop them biting? Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
955 Posts
Hey welcome to the forum! Not got much advice for the issue you've been having other than that rats love to groom off scabs so that could be why your other rat has been focusing on that area so much. Have you looked into the possibility of the scabs being diet related or perhaps a mite infestation? Once you have made your required three posts you will be able to post in the main health forum, where your question might get noticed more :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts