Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed Ty has a big knot on his underside. He's mostly white except for the few spots and the knot itself looks dark under there, and it feels a bit hard. He wouldn't let me poke at it much without having a bit of a fit and being huffy and running off. He was fixed like almost two months ago, so it wouldn't be a surgery issue would it? Is it some sort of abscess? I cannot call and schedule an appointment for him till Monday, and I think my wife can take him in for me since I work such long hours. Is there anything I can do at home till then? He is eating, drinking and running around acting normal should I be as freaked out as I am? I'm a bit in a panic because he's my favorite. I freak out when anything is wrong with my babies but especially Ty.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Aw I know the feeling of being super worried over a special rat! Where on his underside is it exactly? Can it move around freely, or does it feel more stuck inside? Could it be a tumor? Two months ago would be a bit too long now I think for it be related to the surgery. It could be a new issue. If it's a tumor, those are usually quick and easy to remove.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's kinda between his hind leg and stomach. My mom and wife were looking at it today (nurses) and while they aren't vets of course they both sort of agreed it looked more like an abscess. He's been acting normal, and I'm calling in the morning to make an appointment.

I teach, so it's hard for me to take him. My wife though can on Tuesday, so I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping it's nothing serious. He is getting around fine but any touching of it makes him unhappy. I don't know medical stuff, but they both said since it came up so suddenly it shouldn't be a tumor? I feel my guys basically every day and didn't notice it before. I can miss things though. Hopefully it's not too awful wen he goes to the vet.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Unless there's an infection, there's almost no immediate concern for tumors just under teh surface of the skin, or abcesses. If it came up super suddenly, then it's probably an abcess and should be drained soon, but it's not life threatening, so waiting a few days is probably fine.. Here's what you can do in the mean time while you wait for your appointment and to treat it if it is an abcess: http://www.ratforum.com/showthread.php?25177-Abscess-Treatment-Outline Doing the warm compresses wont' hurt anything if it's not an abscess, and if it IS one, the compresses will help. If it is in fact just a normal abscess, this is what the vet will tell you to do anyway. But it's a good idea to take him to the vet still if you're unsure. I hope everything turns out ok!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
also, does it feel lumpy or squishy inside at all? Or is it firm and solid/smooth feeling?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep it was an abscess. When I came home and checked on him it had already burst. He won't let me clean or mess with it without a fight though, and he is usually very easy to handle. He is still going to the vet in the morning and hopefully than can do something to make it less painful on him.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yep it was an abscess. When I came home and checked on him it had already burst. He won't let me clean or mess with it without a fight though, and he is usually very easy to handle. He is still going to the vet in the morning and hopefully than can do something to make it less painful on him.
If he's recently neutered, it could very well be a suture reaction. Especially with it bursting the way you describe, that'd be my educated guess.

Other possibilities are abscess and seroma, but your operating vet ought to be able to take a look and get him sorted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts