Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a bit confused here because one of you guys on the forum told me that you shouldnt let rats outside because of mites etc.

However alot of you have also quoted on other topics that you take your rats out on walks?

Can i take them out or not?

Thankyoo :) xx

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
yeah you can. danger places to take them would be high grasses, open spaces with lots of dirt and dead grasses, the forest, etc. just, places where mites might normally be. riding around outside on your shoulder, walking beside you on a leash, or just rolling around on your lawn shouldn't be a problem as they aren't high-mite-danger zones.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I think it was me that told you that letting your rats roam free range on the ground is an easy way for them to get fleas, ticks, and other unpleasant parasites.

That doesn't mean you can't take them for walks. I take Doris out with me every now and again but she always stays on my shoulder, I never let her on the ground.

·
Registered
928 Posts
speaking of mites while my roobs was at the vets today the vet told me all rats have mites but they dont affect them until their immune system is low!

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
oh ew. lol, that upsets me a little. i guess it makes sense though if i think about it, even we have little mites all over us. again, ew.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts