Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My e-mail:
"I need as much information as I can get on these rats. They are very weak and malnourished, and I need to know if it is because they are old, sick, or just neglected. I am currently feeding the skinnier one baby food with a syringe and I have a vet appointment for Monday. I need to be able to tell the vet what is going on. Don't worry, I am taking on full responsibility for these sick animals, and I am not asking anything from you.

How old are they exactly? If you don't know, please give me your BEST
guess. If they are old, I don't care, I'm not going to take them back
to you, but it matters in rehabilitating them.

Did you get them from a pet store, a breeder, or what? I'm trying to
figure out a little bit about their genetics. Are they brothers?
Rats that are this severely underweight could possibly have cancer, or some ongoing illness. If they don't have cancer, then this is purely neglect. How long have you owned them?

Thank you."

Her response:
"I got them off of a lady out in ocoee, they were for pets. She had posted them on crqaigslist like I did. She had 3 males and 1 female. Some had mated already. So she was giving away the 2 that had not mated. When I picked them up they were very healthy and fat to say the least. She had bought both at the same time, so I really could not say if they are related or not. She had them for aleast 4 months. They were adults from what she said. But from what I was told about them from her they are about 8 to 9 months old. I had put food in the box when you came to pick them up. That it what i was feeding them (rat blocks). I am really sorry for they condition they are in. I just did not know how to take care of them. I only have had them for 7 weeks in all. That is why I posted them. I wanted someone who knows how to take care of them to get them. I was scared because of how they were beginning to look. I have tried all that I could to give them a variety of food. Carrots, cherry tomatoes peas, and the treats you would give them like dried bananas and seeds. I just did not want them to die. Let me know how it goes on monday at the vet?"

So, in 7 weeks they went from fat and healthy to emaciated and weak. :| Why do people adopt pets that they know nothing about? Rats are not maintainence-free pets!

·
Registered
443 Posts
The way I see it…she just didn’t bother feeding them or they have a serious underlying condition, in which case she should have taken them to a vet before they got into such a terrible state. Either way she neglected them, and there really is no good excuse for it. Arg, some people. :?

·
Registered
407 Posts
I never have claimed to be a kind or nice person to other people...

This person is so lucky that it wasnt me that was emailing with her...I have a tendency to verbally and emotionally iviscerate those that treat animals or humans that poorly.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
At the very least they could have bought some Rat Food at the petstore.

I mean, it's not the greatest stuff in the world, but at the least they'd have had something to eat.

Almost two months, those poor babies...

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
DFW_Rat_Luvr said:
I never have claimed to be a kind or nice person to other people...

This person is so lucky that it wasnt me that was emailing with her...I have a tendency to verbally and emotionally iviscerate those that treat animals or humans that poorly.
both of them are lucky i wasnt the one sending or recieving the e-mail!! i would have lost it, but you trying having 5 little sisters (most of them pour poison in your fish tank when your at your dads house) then you see how short of a "line" you have (now im talking like my parents!)

you did the right thing though, good job! hope that rattie has a long happy life and good luck at the vets! maybe you could post pics and we could try to determine the little ones age?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
katy, if i were you, i would be telling the vet where you got them from. someone needs to know what bad pet people they are.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Where did the e-mail say they were not being fed. It said rat blocks and fruit and veggies. That is what most of you guys do. ****... most of the long time owners advise AGAINST the pet store "rat food" aside from the blocks (masuri)

There was something besides a food problem, or the person that wrote the e-mail lied. Plain and simple. Rat blocks make good food combined with fresh produce.

Oh, and don't go violating the privacy of these people like the previous poster suggests. You saved the rats, that is what matters... violating the civil rights of other people is not something that we should be encouraging here. We are supposed to be people that respect all of nature. That includes man, whether we like it or not. You saved the rats, look forward, not back.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yeah, I am in the "they lied" camp.

Or... the food could have been just fine, and they did not know how to treat the rats... as in, they NEVER changed their cage, NEVER took them out, NEVER interacted with them.

Some people think rats are hamsters with tails.

I see in rats the full range of emotions, so it is not hard to believe, that if ignored long enough, regardless of being fed or not, just ignored, depressed, neglected... you begin to lose the will to keep trying to live.

I think that those rats will love you from the bottom of their hearts, as true as as rat is capable of loving. It will be true love, from the rat's point of view, after a while. I can imagine, once they realize that you are not them, they will behave in a way a grateful man would.

·
Registered
407 Posts
yashu said:
I can imagine, once they realize that you are not them, they will behave in a way a grateful man would.
That is SO true. I have a couple of rescues that I SWEAR are flat out GRATEFUL. We feed them, theyre grateful. We clean the cages and give new toys, theyre grateful. We play with them or hold them, they look at us like we hung the moon. And these are the girls that were rescued from the worst situations. Youd think they would never trust a human again, but thats not it at all - its like they are just waiting for someone to give them a chance to love them...nothing more, nothing less.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
i hear ya DFW! i won't get into nezumi's story right now as its long and i need to go to sleep at some point, but this rat was NEVER given a reason to expect anything but abuse and horror from humans. never once before i got her at 4 months of age was she handled properly not to mention the other numerous horrors she under went. to give a bit of an example of just a faction of what she endured, when i got her i had to make an immediate appointment with the vet for a tail amputation. she was already missing nearly a third of her tail and the tip of it was green, black and you could see the bone, though it was was fuzzy. at first she would SCREAM if anyone but me so much as touched her but with hardly any work on my part (at least i didn't view it as much work) she became the most affectionate and joyous little rat i have yet to meet. and that's saying something now that we have little ink and violet (both of whom will very willingly lick the skin right off your hand if given enough time). i have never known any other animal with so much power to forgive as a rat. not one other.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
yashu said:
Oh, and don't go violating the privacy of these people like the previous poster suggests. You saved the rats, that is what matters... violating the civil rights of other people is not something that we should be encouraging here. We are supposed to be people that respect all of nature. That includes man, whether we like it or not. You saved the rats, look forward, not back.
i'm not violating their privacy, they dont deserve to have any privacy. people who abuse animals often are child abusers.. and what about the civil rights of animals who cant defend themselves against stupidity?? i'm sorry, but if it came down to a choice between upsetting these people by reporting them, or saving any future pets, i know what i would be doing. THOSE PEOPLE DONT DESERVE TO HAVE ANY FUTURE ANIMALS!!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Oh man, the "child abuser" line... Proper dicipline in this country is considered "child abuse". You may want to live in a nanny state, but I do not. Parents are afraid to properly dicipline their kids in the USA. Spank a child and go to jail or lose your children, it's crazy. What do you think happens to kids that are never punished and never taught early that there are consequences to their actions?

You are looking at two of the results that this rat lover has had to take in and nourish back to health.

I am willing to bet that the previous owners of these rats were never spanked a day in their life... that they were given whatever they screamed for, and their worst punishment was being sent to their room with cable TV, a phone, and perhaps internet access (if they are still younger).

Child abusers... those are strong words to arrive at from an internet post about rats eh?

BTW, everyone deserves civil rights. Everyone. There is not one person on the planet that does not diserve their civil rights. Don't get me started on that one... hehe... just ask DFW ;)

·
Registered
330 Posts
yashu said:
Oh man, the "child abuser" line... Proper dicipline in this country is considered "child abuse". You may want to live in a nanny state, but I do not. Parents are afraid to properly dicipline their kids in the USA. Spank a child and go to jail or lose your children, it's crazy. What do you think happens to kids that are never punished and never taught early that there are consequences to their actions?

You are looking at two of the results that this rat lover has had to take in and nourish back to health.

I am willing to bet that the previous owners of these rats were never spanked a day in their life... that they were given whatever they screamed for, and their worst punishment was being sent to their room with cable TV, a phone, and perhaps internet access (if they are still younger).

Child abusers... those are strong words to arrive at from an internet post about rats eh?

BTW, everyone deserves civil rights. Everyone. There is not one person on the planet that does not diserve their civil rights. Don't get me started on that one... hehe... just ask DFW ;)
on no u di'nt! physical "punshing" (abuse) is NO way to teach your child what is right and wrong, it teaches them that violence is the way to resolve problems. rather than teaching them what they did hurt someone and made them feel bad, and why they feel like that, and why that is bad. do NOT get me started, i see people abusing there childern all the time one the bus to and from school. smacking their 2 yr old kids for dropping thier dummies!its no way to teach a child what is right or wrong!just...dont!

·
Registered
407 Posts
yashu said:

I love ya Yashu, I do. I respect you and would LOVE to sit down to dinner with you and your wife. My husbadn and I have discussed that you sound like the most fascinating individual, and to be honest, I would LOVE to pick your brain on a number of issues, and believe it or not, learn from you. BUT, I have to disagree with you on this one (shock!) :wink:

Seriously though...

Im nearly 40 years old. I counsel people for a living now and I STILL have nightmares from my horrific upbringing. I could tell you stories to make your hair fall OUT. And that is nothing compared to what i hear now.

Thats the human warfront from all the people that visited these horrors on the heads of their children. The people that did this did NOT deserve civil rights, they deserved a swift kick in the ass. If I wasnt such a **** shrimp, Id like to be the one to deliver it - yes, Im angry.

And then the animals - many times, theyre abused by the same low-lifes that abused their children. Like the little girl rat that came in as a rescue. Her 'people' bought her as a play toy for their cat. Why? Well, I asked them this. THeir answer was because it was funny. THEY deserve to be mauled. And Id like to be the one to watch. Not the one to fight for the civil rights that they themselves gave up when they decided to be less than human.

RAH!

But I still like and respect you. Just not them....or this view.

·
Registered
407 Posts
FYI - Pearl is our girl who was the 'cat's pet'.
Despite 2 months of being mauled on an almost daily basis, Pearl is fine. She is happy and healthy and grateful seeming. She is the one that trusts everyone and gives lots of kisses. Amazing. People arent that forgiving.

·
Registered
407 Posts
oh yeah - I know for a fact.

Im almost forty years old and Ive yet to forgive my own parents.

Its amazing isnt it, the way that an animal can forgive the human race for the atrocities that so many visit upon them. Heck, Ive not done anything like that ever, to human or animal and even *I* feel guilty.

BLAH

1 - 20 of 49 Posts