Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of questions for ya'll but here is my situation.

I have an almost 2 yo girl (Lilliana) who lost her cagemate a few months ago and a younger girl (Cleopatra) who i adopted from my lps because she had a respitory infection that they had treated and it didnt seem fair that she was cured and then became snake food so they let me adopt her. She has been quarentined for about a month now and I am starting to introduce them. It seems to be going really well. At first they ignored each other but then Lilly started grooming Cleo. The second meeting they ended up crammed together in a small box with both there heads sticking out :lol: It was adorable! (i wish I had my camera!!). I just ordered an FN that I will be putting them in together.

Anyways...I have been feeding them kaytee labblocks because I know labblocks are better than the store seed mixes and kaytee is the only brand of labblock my lps has (i didnt know that I could feed dog food). However i have now found out kaytee isnt the best food.

Am I right in thinking that labblock (even being Kaytee) is better than the store seed mixes?

And

If i were to switch their food to a dog food/grain mix would it upset their stomachs like if you switch foods in dogs?

If that is the case I will not switch it until they get settled into the FN because new cage + new cagemate + new diet (with upset stomachs) = too much stress IMO.

Thanks for reading and the feedback :D

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
i've never had any problems giving new foods or changing diets in rats. they don't act like dogs do with food so i think that may play a part in it. when given something new a rat will only take a little sample of it. wait a a while to see if they're still feeling ok and if they are they'll try some more. they also learn from other rats what is safe. if they see or smell the food on another rat's breath they'll think the food is safe and eat away.

lab blocks or nearly any homemade mix is better then the seed mixes. those seed mixes are really nothing more then junk food for rats. most of the stuff they can't digest or won't eat. if you can a hold of a good lab block and your rats will eat it then go for it. if not Suebee's mix is highly recommended. if you can't do that mix then get the best dog kibble you can find (something with a protein level between 14-18% and corn as far down or not on the list at all) then give them all the good stuff that you eat. just aviod the forbidden foods list and you should be fine. this of course isn't the absolute best diet in the world (as it can vary greatly depending on what you eat and what you can find for kibble) but its adequate and gives them a lot a of variety. mind you no diet is going to perfect, some are just closer then others. even lab blocks have some stuff missing. this is why no matter which diet you choose you should always feed your rats fresh foods as well.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
rats pretty much digest like people so a total switch in diet shouldn't hurt them. you could make it gradual if you wanted, it couldn't hurt. it's not really a good idea to feed only one type of food anyway, so you can mix the rest of the lab block, some dog food, dried pasta, sunflower seeds and some simple cereals like puffed rice or wheat, and plain rolled oats (i think this is pretty much suebee's mix anyway). i also add soynuts, but if you're going to add dog food you probably don't have to. just throw a mix together and they'll pick out what they do and don't like. always give them some fresh stuff too though.

your lucky rats and their FN. :D they'll love it forever.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone.

I dont like petsmart so that really isnt an option. I think I am going to research Suebee's mix or Harlan Teklad Lab block which ive heard is even better than the mazuri ones.

Thats a good thing that it doesnt make them have an upset stomach because after all the things Ive read about kaytee lab blocks I want to change as soon as possible! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts