Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, basically one of my rats cut her tail on Sunday, still not sure how she did it! Its near the base of her tail.
I took her to the vets yesterday to get it checked but she said was fine, didnt seem to be causing her any pain and seemed to be healing well. Typically she reopened it yesterdayy afternoon (again dont know how as it happened when I was at work!) could the others be chewing at it? Should i put her in a seperate cage while its healing? I've removed any potential objects from the cage which could possibly cause her to reopen it... there doesnt seem to be any vicious fighting going on.. just general rough and tumble play!

Thanks in advance people!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Been bathing it in warm salt water too! But seems to knock off any scabbing/clotted blood around the wound causing it to bleed again so just been keeping the cage clean, spot cleaning every day to prevent infection.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Sorry that no one else has replied on this. I'm not 100% sure what the proper thing to do in a situation like this is, but, this is what I would do if it were one of my own this happened to:

- put in a separate cage if possible until it's fully healed. Even just the tough play could potentially re-open the wound.

- no more salt baths.

- if it's swollen I'd get some inflammatory meds from the vets. If it isn't, ask what kind of ointment you can put on it (like a polysporin type cream) and maybe rub it in and hold your rat until it seeps in. You'd have to do research on which ointment is okay to use though, as I don't know.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! My vet told me to use salt water.. it looked like it was healing well but i deffo think either her or her sisters are having a chew on it... doesnt look particularly angry at thw moment but obv if it keeps opening its gonna get worse :(

·
Registered
555 Posts
If the vet said she looked fine, I'd just separate her and wrap it somehow with some of that brown band stuff used for sprains with some cream in between and just let it seep in and then let it air dry. I'm sure she will be okay :). Try not to panic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts