Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may remember when I first got Edgar, and the feeding problems I had with Addo. Basically, for those of you who don't, when I first introduced Addo and Edgar, they seemed to be getting along fine, until I noticed that practically overnight Edgar had gotten VERY thin.

This was clearly a result of food hogging on Addo's part. Edgar was in a critical condition since he already had problems with his kidneys (he was a very young rescue from a pet shop).

Basically today I got Ed out, and the same thing has happened. HE'S VERY THIN. Which is fine, I know what to do with seperate feeding etc.

My problem is, I now have a tiny rescue again, who eventually I'd like to introduce, but obviously I don't want the problem with Addo and his food hogging! He and Ed have been fighting like mad over food recently and it seems like Addo wins.

HELP. I think that I may have to get Addo neutered. Is this a solution? Will it help with his over-dominance?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Getting Addo neutered may help with his aggressive food hoarding, I'd think, but if that doesn't work, you'll have to rig up some way for Edgar to get food, even when Addo's being a turd-nugget about it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think you could try having two bowls of food, on either sides of the cage. Maybe even make Ed's food fattening (lots of protein, etc). I have actually put a physical barrier between feeding rats, to allow each to eat from their prospective bowls. The barrier could be up for like an hour, after which time both would be stuffed and ready for bed. After a little while of doing this, both rats would be so used to eating only from their own bowls, they wouldn't care to check if there was a barrier up. Maybe this is worth a shot. Less drastic than neutering the pushy one.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried putting a bowl on the bottom and one on the top (I have a 4 storey cage) and Addo STILL managed to tackle Ed down. I think I'll try the barrier thing, though I don't know what I'll do when I have the third in the big cage.

Neutering may be the solution. I'll have to concentrate on getting Ed's weight up again first.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts