Rat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Excuse the pun, I have no life and a poor sense of humor.

My name is Roux and I am thrilled to be joining you all on this wonderful site! I am joining you all because I wish to be a rat owner! I currently have three fish (two bettas and a goldfish) as well as a dog (a "bass-ahoula") and a husband (haha!) but now that my infant daughter is beginning to near her first birthday and we are anticipating a huge move, I would like to add to our family. The situation in which I would like to add this member to my family is a little differently than most, however. I will be raising two pinkies by hand.

(Two posts will follow to do as the introductory message says.)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I would like to get males but I understand that sexing them will not be fool-proof at this age and am prepared to spay and neuter them should the need be.

(One more post!)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will make another post regarding my plans (and questions) in the proper section following this final post but I just wanted to introduce myself and get these three posts done so I can go on to finishing up my account and getting my questions and plans written up for review by you wonderful people!

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Any particular reason for raising pinkies? Just out of curiosity. Also, it's not impossible to sex them at a few days if you've got multiple babies to compare to, might be iffy for someone not used to looking at wee little rat parts though :p Anywho, welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the connection it gives you to the animal to hand raise them. I know it's possible, it just isn't fool-proof. haha Thank you for the welcome!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I've never had to hand raise (thank goodness since I just don't have the time it requires), but I know it can be very rewarding. It's also very risky though, so make sure you're fully prepared before taking on the task. There are lots of great forum posts on hand raising, just be forewarned that it doesn't always have a happy ending...but even with mom, some pups just fail to thrive.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm aware and prepared. :) If I can give two rats another chance at life or even just an ending filled with love, it'll all be worth it. <3

·
Registered
479 Posts
I attempted to save an orphaned litter of 13 and not one made it. They lost their mother just before a week old, and even with round the clock care they still couldn't hold on. Honestly I would recomed, if your so intent on hand raising, getting fuzzies, about 2 weeks old or just a little before. They will have some fur so they can help regulate their bodies a bit more, they will start pottying on their own, and their eyes will start to open so you'll be the first thing they see. It should be easy to tell gender at this point to, nipples are easy to spot on most girls. Raising pinkies is hard, heart breaking, and doesn't have a high chance of success. If you still want to go this route, I would get more then 2. That way if you lose any, you do not end up with a lone baby. More babies would give you a higher chance of success. Personally, I think it's a sweet idea, but foolish. You'll find lots of great information here though, to be sure. Just keep an eye on your hopes, it hurts worse when they get to high.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the advice. Do you think using my body heat is better than trying to keep them warm artificially?

·
Registered
479 Posts
I wouldn't. You can't control the tempurature as well and they wouldn't have any place to move if they felt to hot. After a week they start moving a lot. At two weeks they'll likely be climbing, even if you don't want them to. Having them in a tank with a heating pad on low under the tank on one side, and a thermometer to keep a constant eye on the tempurature is one of the better ways that was suggested to me. They can move away if they want, and move to if to cold. But it's still risky, you risk cooking them. Using body heat I'd feel you risk freezing them. Proper tempurature managment is key, regardless of method. You'll have to feed them every couple hours and make them potty before and after as well. It can be very difficult. One of the 13 barely ate, and died first as a result.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, it was just a thought. I was told in another thread NOT to use a heating pad because itty babies cannot move off of it. What temp should they be at?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.