Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening rattie lovers!
I have a few quick questions/concerns about the rats diet~

Olaf & Sven are currently on Oxbow Essentials Regal Rat Food (for adult rats), Reggie Rat Food (NOTE: Don't worry, I remove all the alfalfa pellets & dried corn) and I supplement their meals with fresh fruits and vegetables every night.
I like to switch things up a bit, so I try and offer a new vegetable/fruit every night as well.

I am not sure if weight matters, but if it does Olaf weighs approx. 330g and Sven weighs approx. 335g-340g.
They get 1/2 cup of the Oxbow pellets in the morning & at night I give them 1oz of the Reggie Rat seed mixture and then I give about a handful (maybe more) of vegetables.

My questions are:

Am I feeding them too much? Too little?
Should I be supplementing their diet with any proteins (maybe an egg once a week)?
What are your thoughts on Oxbow Essentials Regal Rat Food and Reggie Rat Food?

I thought I had more questions... lD
If I can think of anymore I will update this post, but for now I hope you guys can help me~

Thank you so much,

~Pix ,over and out! ♥

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
How old are Olaf and Sven? If they aren't youngsters anymore, they should not need any additional protein. You can give them some egg once in a while as a treat though. Our boys are primarily on Regal Rat. We switched them over from HT blocks (which were at one point considered the best commercially available rat food) and are quite happy with the results. We give them about a tablespoon of mixed veggies per rat per day (usually broccoli, carrots, leafy greens, cucumbers, peas) and fruit as a treat every 3-4 days (apple, grapes, melon usually). Your schedule seems fine to me but I do not really know enough about the Reggie Rat mix. We feed our four boys a cup worth of Regal rat (once in the morning and once in the evening). They get veggies right before their second meal. Unless you have hoarders, or rats that overeat (pretty uncommon, I think) you can be pretty relaxed about the amount without worrying about it too much. Isamurat is a good person to contact about diet as she has a lot of knowledge in this field.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I knew I was forgetting something lol. Olaf & Sven were born on July 5th, so if I'm correct (without doing the proper math) they are almost 5 months old. I will get in contact with them, thank you very much!

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
The trouble with picking out bits from the reggie is you do make it unbalanced by doing that, as much as those ingredients arent the best. If your going to use it in that way then you need to understand the effects the ingredients have on the overal mix nutrition. Corn in itself isnt that bad an ingredient (it gets far worse reputation than is actually justified), out of interest is the corn in the reggie rat whole or flat peices? Corn generally is low protien, low fat, it acts to dilute the mix overal. Depending on the amount in Reggie (i havent used it myself for many years, and that was the old awful recipie) you need to bear in mind that the overall protien and fat amounts in your modified reggie will be higher. By feeding veg daily and keeping the amount fo seed mix you feed down a bit you can probably balance this out. The alfalfa is pretty indigestable to rats anyway, even if they eat it, the way it affects the mix most though depends on how the manufacturers adds there vitamins in. In any "enriched" commercial mix (which is pretty much any sold mix that has garunteed minimuma amounts of vits and minerals) the manufacturer has options in how to add vitamins. Some spray them onto all ingredeints, some add them to specific ingredients (useually those that are pelletised as they are easier to add stuff too). In reggie i would guess that its added to the extruded buiscuits and possibly the alfalfa pellets too. This means by removing them from the mix the rats wont get as much of the added vits. You can conteract this by feeding it as a small ish proportion of there diet and keeping hte oxbow up, or by feeding foods high in those vits that are generally missing from seed mixes. These are vit d (found in oily fish, eggs, cod liver oil - only feed fish oils once a week max due to vit a toxicity), copper (found in dark green leafy veg and liver, again limit the amount of liver due to vit a) and calcium (bones and cuttle bone are my fave sources of this). Vitamin K can also be in issue but if your feeding a variety of veg its useually pretty safe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.