Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[align=center]I'm going to be getting two rats soon. I found a big Mesquite branch in my backyard that fell off the tree a while ago. Can my rat play on it, or is that type of wood toxic to rats?

Also, when I feed my rats pasta and rice, do I cook it or give it to them raw and hard? Or can I do both?[/align]

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Mesquite is a hard wood so it should be all right, but I'd suggest you freeze it first to be certain it's free of buggies.

Pasta can be served cooked or hard. :)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Is there a spot in your freezer large enough? Just overnight should be fine. Else you could bake it, but I don't know how long or how hot.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[align=center]It's pretty big. Maybe I could cut it into smaller pieces with a saw then freeze them? Would that work?

I just thought of another question. Is it unhealthy for your rats to eat wild crickets and moths?[/align]

·
Registered
76 Posts
clean the branch down with bleach, rince well and leave in the sun for a few days should get any bugs off the branch

as for cooked or raw, my rats love both

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
As to rice: I am wary of 'instant' rice, but normal rice should be fine cooked or uncooked, though someone can correct me, no doubt.

As to insects: Well, if they get ahold of one you won't be able to stop them, but I wouldn't let them have too many... high in protein and all.

·
Registered
221 Posts
How do your rats catch bugs....that's kinda cool....I don't if my rats are fast enough to ever catch one...lol :)

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
oh rats are scary fast when they want to be. i swear they can teleport. the trick is them knowing the bug is there first.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts