Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have 3 adult females who are about a year and a half old in a double critter nation. I have two young females, who I got a month ago, in a pretty large bird cage (I wanted a smallish temporary cage, but bird cage was the best I could find. Its about the size of a single critter nation. Spoiled ratties!) I'm not sure how old they are, so I'll guess around 3 or 3 1/2 months.

During the first intro after I got the rats, one of the babies got chunks bitten out of her neck and ended up going to an emergency vet for liquid stitching and antibiotics. Since then, they've been separated, but the cages are next to each other. I give them some of each other's fleece and bedding often. They sniff at each other and seem interested in each other, except when the babies are rowdy (playfighting, popcorning, running around like maniacs), the adult rats will puff up, tap dance, and huff at them. Should this be considered aggression, or are they just telling the babies to chill out?

A month later, we vanilla extracted everyone and let them meet each other again. It went relatively well and normal, but there was a little bit of fighting and squeaking. There were none of the actual signs of aggression. Should I be worried about them fighting because of the size difference? I'm scared of them being hurt because of my adults are large and were pretty rough.

Would it be counterproductive if I move the bubs into the bottom half of the critter nation cage, rather than their birdcage that they can watch/sniff at the adults from? They love playing in the adult cage when my adults are out. :p I'd also only have to clean the one cage, instead of the two.

Also, I'm not sure what color one of the babies is. She's tan-ish pink-ish with ruby eyes. Is that dove? I just say she's pink. She's a major popcorner and a cuddler. Other girl is a hooded siamese. She's started off like a toasted marshmallow, but now she's like a pew with a brown nose/butt and a faint stripe down her back. Currently, she's determined to see the big rat girls and when I take her out, she wants to go see them desperately!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
They got one introduction today with minimal poofing. They licked each other a few times too! I'm going to start alternating which half of the cage they stay in.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I found that alternating cages helped.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That is great that they are starting to get along now!! My rats haven't been getting along for the past week and they are currently separated. :cry: I can't figure out how to post a post? Haha that sounds funny ;) but do you know how to? Sorry to bother you with this question! I have been trying to figure it out for days!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts