Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lady near Kansas City has this cage for sale and I told her I'd buy it. I know the bar spacing is way too big, but after entering the dimensions of the cage in to the rat cage calculator, it said it could hold up to 6 rats. I'm only looking for it to hold 2, so the girls will have a ton of room to play and wrestle.

I know i'll need to modify it with wire mesh fabric, and I have the tools to cut and grind down sharp edges, but I was wondering if anyone else had modified this type of cage before since it seems to be relatively common. Both petsmart and petco sell a version of it. And, for the price the lady is asking, I could totally deck it out into a rat mansion and still save money over a much smaller cage with small bar spacing.

Any thoughts / opinions? I'll be studying the threads of users who've done similar mods over the next few days. Thanks for any replies. :)

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
i believe there is a lady here that is using that same cage for her girls. i'm not sure the details but i do know she posted pictures in the cage picture sticky at the top of this section. you should be able to then pm the person with questions on how that cage is working out for her.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I've seen that thread, but didn't recognize that cage. Upon closer inspection, it is the same one.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I've heard nothing but good things about that one. :) I'd probably fuss with it, if it were me, and make it so that the wire bottom were removed... That'd probably require keeping the pull-out (I think it is) pan secured from being opened by determined ratties.

If your girls are on the small side, yep, wire mesh is needed. If they're larger, though, you may luck out. If they were big squishy boys, you'd be fine. ;)

Some shelving (if you're real handy and do remove the wire bottom, I bet you could make some shelves out of it! Cover with tile and/or fleece, and zip tie them up?) and hammies would make use of all the space. I look forward to photos of your mods!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts