Rat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lesson for all the kids at home.

Marie-Celeste was out and about poking her nose into things in free range time. The boys get theirs separately as I don't need any new rats. Triddle saw her strolling along, slid open his cage door and wooed her in about four seconds. I didn't even know he could do that. I bet he didn't either till a rat in heat strolled by. Necessity is the mother of yada yada.

Yeah.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Cheap date. But a girl's got needs, too!

Seriously, that's bad. Hope you're either prepared for an e-spay or a litter,... How old is she? Old enough to be healthy through the process?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CaptainFlow said:
Cheap date. But a girl's got needs, too!

Seriously, that's bad. Hope you're either prepared for an e-spay or a litter,... How old is she? Old enough to be healthy through the process?
Old enough and healthy enough. I am giving sex ed to the boys right now...

·
Registered
730 Posts
Any reason why you don't have the male's cage doors firmly secured? Sounds like irresponsible rat ownership to me, and now it looks as though you're going to have a bunch of babies to deal with.

Have you concidered getting your male rats neutered? It's not overly expensive,a nd it takes away the worry of accidental litters. Plus, if they get fixed they can live together in one giant mischief.

·
Registered
520 Posts
reachthestars said:
Sounds like irresponsible rat ownership to me,
I think more questions are in order before we make such assumptions.

It is quite possible that she just didn't have time to get to them. Maybe she has the female separate because she is planning to speuter...

Njal? :)

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
yes reach, that's a bit of a jump. its not even completely clear that triddle did the deed, he may very well of gotten there in time. not enough information has been given in the matter.

and, he may not have known that they could have gotten out anyway. i know in the past there has been time when the doors were thought to have been secure and i found a loose rat in the room. no matter how perfect we think the cage is the rats are going to find ways to prove us wrong and scare the crud out of us. they delight in it. sometimes i think they plan it...

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Oops!

I've read though that rats only sucessfully mate 1 time in 10? Or something like that.

I've had similar instances in the past (one where a very tiddly baby Ben pushed the bottom of the cage off it's hook and crawled out...and jumped an unsuspecting katie!) and I've never found that 1! (Thank god!)

I might be misinformed, just something I remember reading somewhere

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did not know they could get out, even if they did the house is rat proofed and they have long free sessions.

Triddle moved fast, the deed took maybe twenty seconds.

Marie-Celeste seems to be pregnant, but I am okay with that. I don't think a litter of rats is the end of the world.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hey, it happens. Lessons to be learned, that is the point of half the stuff that happens to us, I think.

I would just recommend that you do as much research as humanly possible, set up homes, and keep your vet informed. He/she will be an incredibly valuable tool through this whole thing.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Things like that are why I started out with one gender. And why, in our own clan, we are getting everyone sputered so there is no worries or need for separation.

Now, in the rescue area, we've got boys and girls in seperate corners. They play only in an enclosed playpen, etc. Eventually, we hope to have seperate areas that are enclosed to make everything 100% foolproof.

Accidental litters happen, yes. A lot, strangely. I strongly suggest that owners who want both genders, and do not want to sputer, keep them in seperate rooms if possible.

Babies aren't the end of the world, no doubt. But when you have oops litters, and you adopt them out, you *may* be taking a home from rescue/shelter rats already born and in need of a home.

Just saying what's on my mind, not trying to offend or preach. :) I hope all goes well if she is preggers (hopefully not). You said she wasn't too young, but I also hope she's not too old, either.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Kimmiekins said:
Things like that are why I started out with one gender. And why, in our own clan, we are getting everyone sputered so there is no worries or need for separation.
I do the same thing. I only have girls, except Barry. He was alone until his neuter healed...

Sometimes, you can't help who you love ... but neuters are nice! Plus, rat balls are not exactly pretty.

·
Registered
730 Posts
If he took 20 seconds you had time to get over there and pull him off.... That's quite a bit of time, really. I sincerly hope that she isn't pregnant. I stand by my previous statements.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
reachthestars said:
If he took 20 seconds you had time to get over there and pull him off.... That's quite a bit of time, really. I sincerly hope that she isn't pregnant. I stand by my previous statements.
Meh, who cares. Like I said, I don't think a litter of rats is such a bad thing, I can always call Jay the pet store guy. Snakes gotta eat, too.

Call me a rat abuser.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Njal said:
reachthestars said:
Meh, who cares. Like I said, I don't think a litter of rats is such a bad thing, I can always call Jay the pet store guy. Snakes gotta eat, too.

Call me a rat abuser.

No love for ratties there then!!!!

8O :( :x :( 8O

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
daisy184 said:
Njal said:
reachthestars said:

Call me a rat abuser.

No love for ratties there then!!!!

8O :( :x :( 8O
My ratties are well loved, they may even be spoiled! :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.