Rat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Zeppelin, Elton and Alice
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Yesterday morning we brought three 6 week old rats (Male - named Zeppelin, Elton and Alice) home to join my family. Got a nice cage (Critter Nation) lots of toys, researched food, etc. The babies have been hiding in a tube and in general are pretty scared. Zeppelin has come out and looked around a little and Elton has stuck his head out and I haven't seen Alice. (I did peek in the tube and he is in there and alive.) I have had pet rats before, around 25 years ago. I bought a couple of full grown feeder rats who took to people right away. Used to go places with them on my shoulders hidden in my hair. They were the best!

How do I get my new babies to not be so afraid? (I know it will take time but I was wondering if there was something I wasn't doing.) I feel bad that they are obviously frightened. I just want to make it better for them.

Thank you!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hi and welcome! Love the names of your little boys :giggle:

I recommend just giving them time without being handled, sit by their cage and talk to them. Start with some tasty wet food in a bowl, leave it for them to eat when you are not there. I use cream of wheat, and after a few days they will smell it and come to your hand to lick the food off. Once they associate you with food, they will start to trust you.

You will start to see who is bravest, who is shyest, and who is the little piggy lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi and welcome! Love the names of your little boys :giggle:

I recommend just giving them time without being handled, sit by their cage and talk to them. Start with some tasty wet food in a bowl, leave it for them to eat when you are not there. I use cream of wheat, and after a few days they will smell it and come to your hand to lick the food off. Once they associate you with food, they will start to trust you.

You will start to see who is bravest, who is shyest, and who is the little piggy lol.
Thank you so much!! I wish I had the internet when I had my boys before because I did so much wrong.

And thanks for the love on their names. My 14 year old daughter attends a Fame-type school for Vocal Performance and is in a local rock band. Hence the names!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Well, keep coming back here to the Rat Forum. Everyone is soooooo helpful and responsive! I've learned so much from this site.

You'll have to post a pic of your rocker boys. We love pics!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, keep coming back here to the Rat Forum. Everyone is soooooo helpful and responsive! I've learned so much from this site.

You'll have to post a pic of your rocker boys. We love pics!!!
Will do - when I can get them out of the tunnel. Don't want the flash to scare them more!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Love the names, and welcome.

Reactions: Elann

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
To bond with new skittish rats, I scoop them up out of their cage and tuck them into my sweatshirt or robe and let them hide while snuggled up close to my body. Don't wear nice clothes because a little poop and pee can happen.

Sit in a rat-safe area like in a small rat-proofed bathroom or on a couch or bed that has been covered with an old blanket that you don't care about. Your rats will hide for a while but they'll soon start poking their noses out and exploring a bit. They'll return to you and your sweatshirt/robe for safety.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To bond with new skittish rats, I scoop them up out of their cage and tuck them into my sweatshirt or robe and let them hide while snuggled up close to my body. Don't wear nice clothes because a little poop and pee can happen.

Sit in a rat-safe area like in a small rat-proofed bathroom or on a couch or bed that has been covered with an old blanket that you don't care about. Your rats will hide for a while but they'll soon start poking their noses out and exploring a bit. They'll return to you and your sweatshirt/robe for safety.
Appreciate it!!

·
Registered
614 Posts
BTW - just saw you were in MD - Me too!
Woo Hoo! Us Maryland people are apparently very ratty lol.

I swear by the small area-baggy clothes approach like CorbinDallas said. I start in a bathtub, with my special cream of wheat of course. My babies are like puppies, they lick from my fingers like crazy, and have NEVER bitten me because they learned young. I make sure I do it every morning and every evening, always goopy cereal on my fingers and them lapping it off like like it's mother's milk. Makes me look like the Rat Queen with my smelly rat-robe.
IMG_8179.JPG

·
Registered
614 Posts

CorbinDallas, you sound like you could use some new babies to train and love. I got a few available :giggle:

·
Registered
614 Posts
Aww, babies are the best! I've been enjoying my 14 week old boys! If I lived closer to you, I might be tempted!
Ours are the same age!!! Aren't they precious?? Omg, I woke up the other morning at 5 am and took them to the Rattic. It was a circus up there, they were all over me and in my robe and on my head and wrestling and chasing. The pitter patter of little feet on cardboard is the best :giggle:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts