Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are many topics on litter training, but I'm kinda a bit confused about this little thing ..

If you have a towell for your base/floor of the cage instead of the actual litter itself, and they pee on it many times, won't the towell go damp and possibly cause something to go wrong with thir feet? If it doesn't affect their feet, could it make them feel uncomfortable?

Just a question that I'm a little curious about, because I'm thinking about teaching my rats to be litter trained .. :D

·
Registered
229 Posts
I thought that once an animal decides that something counts as bedding, such as a blanket or a towel, they don't want to dirty it up by peeing/pooping on it, but I guess with rats--especially males--it's different? I could be wrong.

...But you don't want to leave the towel in there all the time anyways. It needs to be washed, just like soiled bedding needs to be thrown away. :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
I change my fabric bedding in my r695 every other day. Once I get my FN though I think I'm going to do it everyday.
The fabric doesn't keep odors down so you're gonna want to change it often.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I think it will really depend on how well your ratties use the litter box. I keep my FN tray liners in for a couple days, as long as they have been well behaved ratties. However there are those weeks, especially now with the babies, that I have to change the liners more often due to smell. When it was just the older girls, the fabric was good for ALMOST a week, I spot cleaned the litter box every day/every other, and disinfected the litter boxes on the weekend.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Berks.

The big boys like having the towell in there and have been peeing in the litter box, which I didn't know they could do.

But the little ones are finding ways too go under it and sleep there (quite cute actually :lol: ). I've been changing their towells every second day, so that's seemed to work well.

I guess that's the end of this post :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts