Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently posted in this forum about my rat probably having a cyst or tumour, I've just got home from work and noticed what looks to be a head on the lump (the lump isn't overly large but large enough to notice) so i'm thinking it is some sort of cyst, my problem now is what if it bursts before I get her to a vet? I'm going to try and get an appointment tomorrow when the vets are open but there is no guarantee that they'll be able to see me tomorrow. The vet I'm currently with doesn't seem to know how to deal with rats (long story) but there is one a few miles away that deals with exotic pets. Unfortunately I was googling this last night and ended up reading about a similar case were the owner couldn't get his/her rat to the vet and by the time they did it was too late, they washed the wound out and started the rat on antibiotics but the rat died a couple of days later. My rat Storm seems ok in herself and is eating and drinking really, really well, she's not behaving any differently and is still being an excellent mum to her babies.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Try not to be scared by internet horror stories. Be glad it's a cyst and not a tumor! You can apply a warm compress to it until you can see a vet. In my experience, most cysts resolve on their own. Stay calm and keep us posted.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Does it look like a darkish spot on it? Usually that means an abscess about to burst.

Like Minky said a hot compress will usually cause it to burst. Keep it clean and let it drain from there.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes there is a darkish spot, it's a fair size in comparison to the actual lump. Does the abscess require veterinary treatment/antibiotics? or is it something I can deal with myself?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Depends. I hesitate to say one way or another without knowing for sure what is going on. However, one of my older girls is prone to abscesses and they don't need any kind of medication/antibiotics.

Hot compress till it pops and then clean well, I use a very watered down betedine solution (looks like weak tea-advice I was given by my vet). Heals within a couple days. I would be worried and bring her in if-it doesn't pop right away and drain or if I didn't see a lot of improvement with 24 hours of it draining.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts