Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I've heard a lot of people say that, especially for young rats, it's best to just stick with the dry pellet food and give other food (like vegetables, fruits, and nuts) as treats, but that seems kind of odd to me.

Every time I look at my buddies' food dish, it is empty, so I refill it, but then later I find that they (usually Amadeus) hide it instead of eating it. When I feed them vegetables and other good stuff, they don't hide it and actually eat it.

So lately, I've been trying to feed them more varieties of foods along with the pellets, just to make sure they get proper nutrition but aren't getting bored, you know? I would hate to have the same thing for dinner every single day, and I think that rats might feel the same way.

Tonight's meal (in addition to a small handful of pellets, of course) is cucumber slices, almonds, and cashews.

What are some other good, healthy things that I can give them?

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
The problem is, those pellets are specially formulated to meet their nutritional needs in perfect balance. When you exceed 10% of their daily intake with "extras", you're throwing everything off. For example, those nuts are really fatty and can cause kidney problems when you are exceeding normal fat intake. You can also mess up protein, vitamins, and just about everything else.

If you use blocks, you've got to commit. If you want to supplement, get ratrations or ratsnacksnstuff and do 50/50 or switch entirely to those mixes.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm...

Well, if I wanted to always feed them real food and just save the pellets for emergencies (like if I can't afford good food for a week or something), then what exact ratios of stuff would I need to feed them every day? I think I want to try doing this, since they seem to not enjoy the pellets much.

Also, can rats eat seafood?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts