Rat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a fairly new rat owner. I have had Edward for 6 months and Giacomo for 1 week. I live in Austria and here you are given guidelines as to how big cage you have to have, and they don't sell you a smaller one if you are getting two rats. They can't control what you have at home, but at least they are trying.

I was home in Norway 2 weeks ago and stopped by a pet store to have a look. Their rats were in large cages with plenty of ventilation. All their animals had plenty of space.

I started talking to the guy and about rats. I asked it they sold a lot and he said yes, the rat community in the city was big. They would meet up, give advice and help each other etc.

I also asked about the affect of the new rat movies that came out recently. (A Norwegian movie called Svein og Rotta "Svein and the rat" recently came out and it's about a rat and his rat - http://www.filmweb.no/kino/article80427.ece or the trailer http://www.filmweb.no/trailere/article94006.ece Select medium for medium, stor for large and fullskjerm for fullskcreen) Anyway, they had a lot of parents coming to the store, straight from the movie, giving into their kids about getting a rat.

The good thing, the store refused to sell it to them. Told them to go home and give it a week, gave them a paper with everything that a rat needs, care and other stuff etc. And told them to come back after a week if they really wanted a rat. They had yet to have anyone come back.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
That is good that they are taking that stance & that they are attempting to educate people rather than allow them to follow through with an impulse purchase that could end in devastation for the poor rats (improper care, change of heart, loss of interest)

I've read news stories already about the mass purchases of small pocket pets since this is the "Year of the Rat". One report talked about how people are buying them in such great numbers that the supply/demand has caused retailers to raise their prices to very high amounts.

Sounds like someone will benefit in this economy but my fear is that we will see a rise in the numbers of discarded pocket pals & read more & more about people coming into this pet partnership, uneducated, ill equipped & thoroughly put off in short time after acquiring their 'new best friends'.

·
Registered
221 Posts
*Dies of absolute shock* That is so good. I have heard that some European countries are very good at taking care of their animals. I think also that with so many caring rat owners out there that it's finally starting to make a difference with how rats are treated in pet stores. We should all keep up the good work! :)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Nice to hear of a somewhat responsible store :). Btw, is Edward a lone rat?

·
Registered
393 Posts
AceYourFace said:
Darksong17 said:
Nice to hear of a somewhat responsible store :). Btw, is Edward a lone rat?
Nope he already said he had another named Giacomo :D

Whoops! I read gud XD

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I was surprised to hear him say that, I thought it was all about revenue, but they actually cared about the rats.

I'm a she btw. I guess the screen name is confusing lol.

And nope, Edward is not a lone rat. He has Giacomo to keep him company.

·
Registered
879 Posts
EdwardGiacomo said:
Yeah, I was surprised to hear him say that, I thought it was all about revenue, but they actually cared about the rats.

I'm a she btw. I guess the screen name is confusing lol.

And nope, Edward is not a lone rat. He has Giacomo to keep him company.
Whups my bad hahaha I did that with CaptainFlow too. I though it was a guy then it turned out to be a girl when I saw her Ratspace lol

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yay for that pet store! I wish they had places like over here.
It's so nice to actually see people that care and just aren't there to make a quick buck.

·
Registered
229 Posts
After reading this I had to turn to my fiance (who's from England) and tell him I want to live in Europe--Norway specifically. XD

That sounds like the greatest pet store in the world. Let me guess--they also refuse to sell live rats and mice as food? If so, they're my new favorite place!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, sorry I didn't mention that. They did not sell live rats or mice as food. It was hard for them to know at first, but when the same person kept coming again and again, they figured it out.

·
Registered
229 Posts
We had the same problem with a guy buying guinea pigs. He'd come in every now and then and buy out ALL our rats (which unfortunately aren't protected by any rules here...), and a guinea pig, and then feed them to his snakes. :(

Finally one of my coworkers figured out what was going on and confronted him, saying taking every rat was bad enough, but he couldn't allow him to take any more guinea pigs.

I want to work in a place that doesn't sell any live animals as food.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts