Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i found this poem at my vets and they gave me a copy when my daisy passed away i hope this helps someone else cope as well as i did (well nearly) oh plz grab a tissue this made me cry the 1st time i saw it .

If it should be....

If it should be that I grow frail and weak,
and pain should keep me from my sleep,
then you must do what must be done,
for we know this last battle can't be won.

You will be sad, I understand,
but don't let grief then stay your hand,
for this day, more than the rest,
your love and friendship must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years,
what is to come can hold no fears.
Would you want me to suffer? So,
when the time comes, please let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend,
only stay with me until the end,
and hold me firm and speak to me,
until my eyes no longer see.

It is a kindness that you do to me,
although my tail it's last has waved,
from pain and suffering I have been saved.

Do not grieve, it should be you,
who must decide this thing to do.
We've been so close, we two these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Wow. That gave me chills. It's beautiful.

My mother and I had a cat, once, that we think had a brain tumor. She went slowly blind, which wasn't a big deal, but one day, when we came home, she was yowling, obviously in a lot of pain and seemed paralyzed from the middle, down.

When we rushed her to the vet, he said it was probably a brain tumor, but he couldn't be sure without extensive testing, including a CT scan. Because she was in so much pain and the cost to treat her was more than we could possibly afford, we made the decision to have her put down. Mom couldn't stand it and waited outside, but I stayed with her until the last, with my hand on her so she would know I was there. I felt it was the least I could do because she was the sweetest cat we had ever owned. That did't make it any easier, though.

This poem really speaks to me because of that. I love my pets and I want what is best for them, even if that means freeing them of the mortal coil. It's not an easy decision to make OR carry out, though.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know all about it! my cat lucky lucy was the same she got a tumor and her eye was swollen shut her mouth swollen open. my evil dad left her(me and my mom were away) once we got back home we took her 2 the vets he said he could operate but there was no gantee she would pull thu so we made the desision that she had a good long life and it was best for her to go to sleep.i couldnt look so i went back the next day and held my cat in my arms it was so scarry because wen ever she was asleep i used 2 strock her and she would wake up and pur i stroked her and she was cold and didnt wake. also to make it worse a few weeks later my rat daisy had the same this time it was worse we took her to the vets he said the same but that there was a 90% chance she wouldnt pull thu and a 70% chance the tumors would come bk wiv in a month so yet again i had to let her go. i couldnt stand it i went to put her in the vets cage and she crawled back up my arm squeekin and cryin and daisy was always a quiet rat. i would carry on but even writing this is making me cry.
but when i has sed goodbuy i went in 2 the waiting room and saw this poem and its helped me alot! lucy wa my 1st cat and daisy was my first rat! anyway hope u like this poem when the memorial page is opened (rat man has said he will open one) i will look for some more poems or write one or two!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Oh ive seen that poem before, yeah I like it. I know one I really cried over, Ill post it if I can find it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I found two:
I am not there

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there, I do not sleep,
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sun on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn's rain.

When you awaken in the morning's hush,