Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I originally came here for a hit and run post about rat health (which, by the way, that rat is all better now, thank you everyone who responded), but now that I'm planning on hanging around I figured I should introduce myself.

If you couldn't tell, my name is CJ and I live in Marietta, Georgia. I've owned rats for around 4 years now, though there is a year gap in there.

My original rats were Socrates and Ben (dudes), and later FRA (Female Rat Alpha), but long story short Socrates was a huge jerk from everything I hear and he bit me pretty badly (Serious bites where he would not let go in my lip, thumb, and then later in my finger when I was trying to make up with him and assume he just made a mistake). This kinda made me afraid of rats for a while.

However, about six months ago I decided to give it another shot. I still get worried when they climb up my shirt towards my face, but mostly I'm over it. My current rats, Poopsmith, Blanche, and Ratlas Shrugged are very sweet, though Blanche and Ratlas are new as Poopsmith's original companion, Dorothy, passed away very recently, so they are still getting used to me.

That's about all there is to know about me. I look forward to spending a lot more time around these parts.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Glad you decided to give it another go. :) I can understand the discomfort of handling rats after you've been bitten badly - it took me a while to feel comfortable with my hands near our eldest after she bit me quite badly.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Welcome!

The name Poopsmith seriously made me laugh out loud, and Ratlas Shrugged is extremely witty.

Getting badly bitten can leave anyone a bit nervous around rats afterward. Last year I was fostering an intact male rescue boy who had a shady past. He was obviously aggressive, so I tried not to mess with him too much until after he was neutered. Well, he developed some sneezing and then some congestion, so I was forced to handle him in order to give him medication. Either me handling him, the medication, or both pissed him off, because he tore into my hand down to the muscle. After that I was extremely wary of petting/handling new rats, and still am somewhat. But, over the years I've realized that aggressive rats, most of the time, just need to be neutered/spayed. The boy that bit me last year, Jabberwocky, has since been neutered and is the sweetest, happiest boy now. He lives with a group of other ratties over at my friend Kaia's house :)

·
Registered
928 Posts
hello and welcome sorry about ur bad experiance wiv rat but rats are like ppl u get the good and the mean but luckly ive only ever had the amazin rats! glad u gave it another go tho!

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You know Poopsmith's name was originally going to be Ratlas (because I thought I was exceeding clever, but really it's just a lame joke), but let's just say the first time I handled her at the pet store she let out more poop than any animal should be able to store, so she got another name and I saved Ratlas for the future.

By the way, I don't think I'll get any future rats from pet stores. I just get the feeling they aren't being handled as much as they should be.

When Poopsmith was sick and I had to take her to the vet, I got laughed at a little when I had to tell them the name. It was a little embarassing. And the medicine said "Poopsmith Shrader" on it which is just ridiculous.

I'm posting so much today! I'm at work but don't have a single thing to do so I'm getting caught up around these parts.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Pet store rats are barely handled, usually. In the past, I purchased a total of four rats from pet stores. All of them had socialization issues, one of which never overcame them and was always frightened of humans. Rat rescues are fantastic, though, when it comes to handling the rats. Accredited breeders also have great rats - laid back, sweet, and bred for better health overall.

Believe me, I empathize about the name thing at the vet. I felt all sorts of silly when I called to set up an appointment for a couple of my boys to get neutered. I had to repeat "Squeebottoms" about fifty times and spell it out before she got it, and then when it came to "Polka" I had to actually hum a polka-like tune for her to realize what I was talking about :p

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah all of my rats have never been the friendliest around humans. I always hear of other people playing with their rats and I always get jealous.

Poopsmith, however, really bonded with me when she was sick and I had to hold her down and feed her medicine. I'm hoping I can do the same with the other two. Currently I have to deal with a little nipping from the other two, as I don't think they can tell immediately if I'm food or friend, but they of course always stop biting when they realize I'm human. Still makes me a little wary, though, because of my past experiences.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts