Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This would most likely apply to Australians, seeing as that is where I am from.

A friend of mine has just recently bought a rat, a beautiful baby boy. It is her first time as a rat owner, and I have been constantly helping her out with feed, enclosures, toys etc...

However, she wants to get him desexed, and would like to know roughly how much it costs. When mine was desexed, I was away interstate, and my partner to do it, so I have no idea how much it costs.

I live in South Australia, and was hoping that someone would be able to give me a rough idea on the price of desexing in SA, and maybe some tips, pros and cons regarding desexing.

Any help is appreciated, thankyou x)

Skye.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
I don't think you will find a lot of Aussie members on here, but there are Aussie Rat Forums you could probably join to get that information. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it doesn't specifically have to be Aussies. I just thought that they would be able to give me a more specific idea.

I could convert the amount from USD to AUD x)

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
I am in Canada and I pay a lot more than most US members, so each area has its own pricing norm.

I know that it can be hard to find a rat vet who will neuter and especially spay in AUS, as I have a friend there.

Your best bet is to call around to the rat vet clinics and ask.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
hi skye, i'm from adelaide, but i havent had any of my ratties get the snip yet. try ringing around a few vets in your area to get prices. you might have trouble though, finding a vet who will deal with rats. if you live in the northern or northeastern 'burbs, i can give you the details of 2 vets out this way who will take ratties.

also, there is a very good aussie rat forum on yahell...
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/aussie_rodent_rescue/
... and also this group...
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/ratlist/

·
Registered
393 Posts
I don't have any advice but I'm just wondering if she intends to get the little boy a friend?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thankyou all so very much for your input. I shall ring around today and see what I can find.

Yes, she is getting him a friend. My female had an unexpected litter, and she wants one out of it, not sure whether I should give her a male or a female, any suggestions?

Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
if he isn't fixed then give her another boy

if you give her a a girl you will most assuredly have a bunch more babes in need of homes & these can not be considered an "unexpected" litter... you put two rats of different genders together, expect babies in the near future.

That's an oops waiting for opportunity to happen

as for prices... I've heard of everything from vets doing a group discount for $25 each when several were done at once... I've heard of single rats costing as little as $50 & as high as $200

No way to compare since it entirely depends on your area & who you ask

there are no standard pricing ranges on this procedure

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, I was thinking a boy and now it's confirmed.

Thankyou very much, I appreciate your input.

He's booked in on Friday at a cost of around $60.

Thanks guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts