Rat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girls have a strong smell about them. It's causing a bit of frustration for my hubby (that and a noisy rat wheel) : )
I've pretty much tried everything I can think of. I'm now cleaning the cage everyday, and washing the hammocks twice a week.
I've tried the bio-oder liquid that you place in their water. It didn't work and concerned me.

Has anyone tried an air purifier next to the rat cage? This is my next thought, but would like to know if it has worked for anyone else before I make the purchase.

·
Registered
443 Posts
How many ratties do you have?

I’ve noticed much more of a rat-smell now that I have 4 rats. I don’t know how helpful an air purifier would be, but I don’t think it could hurt.

I’ve just learned to live with a faint odor. I spot clean everyday with a mild cleaner, and do a major weekly cleaning as well where I take the cage apart and wash it down with warm, soapy water. That seems to keep it manageable. I've noticed the smell comes more from the girls scent marking their toys and such than the actual bedding.

edit:typo

·
Registered
407 Posts
that gave me a great idea. thank you jellybean :)
I use alot of aromatherapy/aromatology in my business and one of the safest and most inert carrier oils is sweet almond - has no scent and is just 'good stuff'.

I will use that!

I used it for itchy dry skin on my rexie wth a TAD of lavender, and he cleared up immediately

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
for my rexie's dry skin i feed her a bit of bread about the size of a quarter dipped in olive oil every week.

i know that most vegetable oils work just fine in squeaky wheels.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The purifier totally works. My boyfriend just tried this earlier b/c he couldnt stand the smell in my office. It worked in 10 minutes. No kidding! It was an ionic breeze.

·
Registered
407 Posts
cool! I will get one. I see clients in my home and Im always worried that ratly odors will persist despite how clean i attempt to keep the cages.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I purchaed my air purifier at a local store. It's a table top and sits next to my girls.
It's really cleared the air. I'm impressed!

·
Registered
638 Posts
I guess I'm the odd man out, but I like a little "rat smell" around. It makes the room smell like my boys, in a good way.

·
Registered
981 Posts
jellybeanqueen said:
DFW_Rat_Luvr said:
does anyone know if wd-40 can be used on a noisy wheel, safely?
i don't know...maybe you could just use vegetable oil? :/ that's the safest thing i can think of!
I just use the Pam spray on non-stick stuff. I wouldn't use wd-40 because they will lick off anything you put in there.

giddy4ratz said:
So rats really doooo smell Shocked ?????
Im shocked as a lot of people have been telling me that they do not smell if you feed them the right diet.
I don't think the problem is so much the rats smelling as the cage smelling. No matter what I do, I can't get rid of the smell completely and although I don't even notice it my roommate complains every time he comes in my room. Which is annoying. So where did everyone get the air purifiers? Let us know how well they work!

·
Registered
78 Posts
My new rats that I added to two current boys really smelled bad when I first had them, I blame it on a poor diet. After a couple of days feeding them on this Scientific Apple & Blackcurrent stuff that looks like cat biscuits the smell has gone down loads.

I still might look into getting a purifier though if it eliminates the smell completely!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts