Rat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't a criticism of any kind, but I wonder if people would mind doing something for me, and for other ultra-emotionally sensative people on the forum?

Sometimes, websites/poems/stories/posts can be somewhat...upsetting. Usually it's obvious, because of the titles, like, "Rat horrors at pet store." But other times, it's not obvious, or, maybe, only part of it is upsetting, so it's kind of "stealth." An emotional ambush, kind of.

Someone posted a link to the "Great Pointed Archer" site, which I think is, overall, very good, as far as getting people to accept rats. But I watched the three commercial spots there, about, "What if the whole world was against you," and, although I can see how it would get the "message" through, it really upset me, and it made me cry, and there's no one around my place really equipped to help me out, when I get emotionally upset over something like this.

See, these "warnings" aren't applicable to me. I have never, EVER used a "mouse trap," and would sooner live with ANYONE in the house than put down a strip of that sticky paper, and let the mouse or rat scream as they slowly dehydrated and starved to death. (When necessary, which is not very often, I use a "humane" trap, filled with wonderful "goodies.")

I call up people like Orkin and protest their commercials. I call up companies like D-Conn and protest their existance. I am truly, deeply upset at the way these living ratty souls are treated.

So, when I watch the "warning" commercials, thinking they're going to be some "cute rat thing," I'm emotionally hit hard...it's like having the rug pulled out from under me. I don't know what I'm going to do with myself now; I'm upset, and it's 10:00 PM. No where to go, no one to call.

If you read this, and you should, in the future, post something that might disturb "sensitive" people, would you please put some kind of little note by it, like, "some people might be upset by this," so that people like me will know not to click on it?

I'm sure it's not just me. Well, maybe it IS just me, but even if it is just me, I would appreciate it a whole lot.

I don't want to be overwhelmed with sadness like this.

Thanks for listening to my request. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, L.B.N.F.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I partly understand. "pest control" is just that... control of wild "pests". While the methods may be inhumane, the animals themselves are wild. These aren't domestic rats and mice infesting the houses of those that call on these companies to come remove the "pests".

The positive thing is that humane treatment of animals has gained a lot of ground in the USA. I do not think that a man's life should be ruined by a criminal record over certain over-reactions of animal lovers, however, I do think that care should be taken not to torture animals when there is a better way.

I helped my father set up rat poison in his garage one time... nobody is perfect. Try not to judge others, and look at the bright side that you are able to provide a meaningful life for an animal that may have ended up snake food.

If you get hung up on what other people do, it makes it hard to enjoy *your* life... don't let it get to you, focus on the good that you can do.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice, yashu.

I am ~very~ hard on myself, and I probably shouldn't be. (For instance, I feel very guilty for a long time if I should, say, step on a snail.)

I'm working on building a "thicker skin," but in the meantime, a "be careful" comment on these things would help me a lot.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I'm "someone", and first off, the site is a hoax. It's not real. Cute, funny, but not real.

It was an ad campaign from an ad agency that put the thought out there that if they could change the attitude against rats, they could do anything. The idea of the site is to show that rats aren't the horror most of the world thinks they are. The "PSAs" are showing, in a light way, what people DO to rats. That's real-life, despite us rat lovers NOT agreeing with it. Even though the site is a hoax per-say, I think they actually pose a good point with the PSAs... I've converted a few people to look at rats differently in the past with this site. As have others. It's not supposed to offend rat owners... It's supposed to HELP people see how things are in the life of rats. You're not like that, but sadly, many people in the world are.

In the future, I'd rather just get a PM if I linked something that was upsetting. I, OBVIOUSLY, care about rats enough to devote my life to them. Most of my own money, time and energy goes towards rescuing, rehabbing and adopting out rats. My own rats living a wonderful life of luxury. I certainly wouldn't have posted anything I found upsetting.

I am an extremely sensitive person myself, so I can understand being upset over something. However, this IS the internet, and not everything can have a warning label... This is because what some find upsetting, others won't. It's all a matter of how you see something. I've been offended over things in the past that others haven't, and couldn't have known I would be.

That said, I'll do my best in the future to try and not upset anyone. I don't promise anything, though, because I can only gauge what would upset ME. As I said, I find anything in the site upsetting - I've seen it linked so many times on various rat sites with no complaints. Most rat lovers enjoy it. So I didn't realize there was anything upsetting there.

Anyhow, I'm so sensitive that I'm a bit taken aback by being "someone" and reading that you may feel I am insensitive. I'm in near tears that someone would think I'd want to upset anyone. In other words, I guess we're both extremely sensitive. :( I've actually been call that here, once or twice.

I, myself, am so upset that I think I need a break from the computer and get some fresh air. Maybe a break from this forum entirely... I have to say that right this second, I feel very unwelcome. That may just be MY sensitivity, of course.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kimmikins, I don't know if you would rather have me address this in a PM, but since you are also publicly upset, and since there have to be more sensitive people around here than us, I thought I would do it here for now. Let me know if you want me to follow up privately.

The reason that I said "someone" was because, frankly, I was kind of hysterical at that point, and I didn't really remember who posted the original. I was feeling kind of frantic, and so I didn't go back and check on it, either. I wasn't saying "someone" because I didn't want to talk to you directly, but rather because I had a million things flying around in my head, and my point wasn't really ~about~ who had posted it.

I'm sorry to hear that you are upset by what I posted, and that you feel unwanted. I have always found your posts to be valuable, and it was not my intention to make you feel unwanted here.

In the past, I, too, have had times when I just had to unplug my computer for awhile...due to me being too sensitive. I don't WANT you to do this, but if you feel as though you have to because of your emotional health, I understand why. Again, I feel badly to think that I caused this feeling in you.

The reason, mainly, that I made a public post, was that I was hoping to ask ~everyone~ who read it to put a little warning, if possible. Although I used you as an example, I wasn't simply specifically talking about only you. Things like this happen to me from time to time, and so I thought I'd make a public plea on behalf of people who get really upset, like me. I could have used many more examples, and maybe, I should have. I can tell you this. There is a poster here on this board who I like and respect very much, but I am unable to be her "MySpace" friend, because she sometimes posts "sad" bulletins, to raise awareness about animals. I wrote, and told her I couldn't handle it, and she said to block her. But it has nothing to do with if I like her, and everything to do with what I feel I can handle, for my emotional health at the time.

Like most other ultra-sensitive people, I own my problem, and am trying to work on it. But until I am able to be emotionally stronger, I will sometimes ask for "help" from people, for example, the post asking for the warning.

Anyway, I don't know if anything can be done to make you feel better, now. I can honestly say that I didn't mean to upset you personally, and I can honestly say I'm sorry. I can also honestly say, however, that I understand that, once you get emotionally upset, it's pretty much a "done deal," and not a lot helps.

I didn't mean to stir up trouble. I hope that, somehow, you feel better as soon as you can, Kimmikins. I really didn't mean to upset you.

-------------------------------------

With regards to the site:

I'm relieved to find out that it's a "spoof," but I'm still kind of in shock from those ads. (I found the ads first, you see.) Inhumane traps are a reality in life, and they do upset me. At least I understand better now.

I'll be happy to discuss this more here, or on a PM, if you wish.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
OK guys...

Holly, I think you have made your request for anyone posting links in the future to consider the content and perhaps put a warning next to it to say that it may upset some people.

Kimmiekins... I believe you were just being helpful and didn't realise that there may be upsetting content or that there may be someone who might be upset about it here. I don't think Holly was directing this post at you, per se, and that's why she said "someone" instead of your name... just this was the latest example and so the one she used to make the point in her post. And of course you are very welcome and appreciated here!

I think if you two feel you need to talk about this some more, you should now take it to PM. I will lock this thread, to avoid the risk of someone else hopping in and saying something (good intentions or not) and upsetting either of you. I hope you both feel better, soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.