Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my female ratty had a small bump on her back that looked like a raised mole or something. It was a little bit darker brown than her skin, but you couldnt see it at all unless you lifted up her fur. it wasnt red at all, and didnt appear to be scabbed over. her vet said if it didnt grow and didnt looked red or scabbed, it was probably just a cyst that didnt need any treatment. after about a month, it still hadnt grown at all that i could tell. you could only feel it if you started petting her in the right spot. it didnt appear to be bothering her at all, so i left it be like the vet said.

two nights ago now, she was running around her room and then came running up to me with a wet spot the size of a quarter or bigger on her back where this bump was. I smelled her to see if she had somehow gotten at my juice cup i had up on the table since that was my first thought, but the liquid didnt seem to have any scent at all. i got a towel and dried her off, and the bump was completely gone. i lifted up her fur to see if it had gotten smaller, but i couldnt find even a single mark.

does anyone know if this was a cyst or what else it couldve been? i dont know how a bump could disappear with no trace at all lol. maybe the wet spot and the bump disappearing where coincidences, im not sure.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Sounds like an abscess to me! :) Abscesses sometimes appear a little darker than normal skin, and often have a dark spot on them once they "mature" a bit. Keep the wound as clean as possible (with a saline solution 2x daily), and it should heal up fine.

Next time you find a bump/lump on a rat of yours, suggest to your vet to have an aspiration done - that will let you know right away if it's an abscess or not.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Rats are prone to tumors so be sure to chck with your vet or an expert to see it isnt a tumor before you leave it be. but keep it clean and you sould be fine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alright! i had read up on abscesses and they sounded like a pain to deal with but this one handled itself i guess. its been 3 days now since it disappeared but i put a little saline solution on her today just in case. she seems to be doing great still and the bump hasnt returned. thanks alot for the help! :)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Well, if it was wet, wouldn't there have been a sore on her skin where the bump had been (not just nothing at all)?

I'd wonder if it wasn't a bruise or something.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts