Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Widget & Gadget
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well hllooooo there rat lovers! I'm Uri and I'm mighty pleased to meet you all :D I joined this forum for the selfsame reason I should imagine you all did - I love rats and I don't know many people who share the passion! So, where to start...?

Myself, I'm from the UK and my three boys are my pride and joy. My oldest, Domino is a beautiful (if rather porky) Himalayan who lost his brother recently to pneumonia. It was a very sad day indeed, and many tears were shed over the loss. My cat died only a few days earlier, so this was a dreadful week for me and my fiancee!

So poor Domino was left all alone, sad and lonely and putting on (even more) weight, which we didn't want at all, so I decided the poor lil' fella needed some new company. Que pet store....

When we first went into the store, I only intended to leave with a single rat, which I did, but I was rather dismayed to see his forlorn little brother staring through the glass sadly as I left. But onwards I trudged, taking the as-yet unnamed buck home to live in a temporary cage for a week or so while Dom could get used to him being around. Dispite knowing it was risky, I decided that a short introduction was in order, and placed Dom on the couch and allowed him to sniff the newcomer a little. (He had already been quarantined for a decent time, I'd been visiting the pair for some time in the store) To my amazement, he sniffed the little boy gently, then licked his face once before rather half-heartedly power-grooming him a bit. Seeing as things were going so well, I allowed them to make friends for 15 minutes or so before firmly locking them away from each other. Dom went mad trying to get to his new friend, but the young buck very quickly became depressed, refusing to come out of his home, and when I took him out to handle him, he just sat there looking sad. After a day of looking at his poor, unhappy face, I needed a new water bottle, and returned to the pet store. His brother was still there, looking equally unhappy. I think it's fairly predictable from here...

So, returning home with yet another addition to my growing family, the two rats were ecstatic to see each other, and promptly had about an hour of playing and grooming. I wondered what Dom's reaction to the new-newcomer would be and tried the couch trick again. So to cut a long story short, after only a couple of hours, I was confident enough to very tentatively try them all together in the master cage. I'm sure you all think I'm a bit dumb, but so far it seems to be working scarily well. Dom power-groomed them both a bit, which they seemed to endure rather well, and despite being still very shy, they don't seem to be suffering any ill effects from being in with the big boy. Dom's perked up a whole lot too.

So there it is, the life story of my rats, the loves of my life! Any tips you all have to make my new boys more comfortble (Now called Zippy and George to go with Bungle the hamster) and a bit less shy would be appreciated, I'm still fairly new, Dom and his now deceased brother were my first rats so I'm hardly a veteran at this!

So hello all again, and hope to hear from you all! :D

·
Registered
626 Posts
Welcome! That has got to be THE most heart warming story ever! The more the merrier I always say, and I can't wait to see some pics of your boys!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts