Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone!
I just got a new baby about a week ago and just tonight I noticed a lump on her neck, on the underneath side if that makes any sense. Its about right in the middle, pea sized, hard, and i can't tell if its "moveable" or not but it feels pretty attached to the skin. she is only about 4 or 5 months old maybe not even that so I would be pretty surprised if it was a tumor at this young of an age but I guess anything is possible? How can I determine one from the other? Ive read a lot about cysts and it seems cyst-y. I need all the help I can get. I just had to put down one of my mamma rats because of a few reasons and I'm still grieving that, and would absolutely hate to loose this little love bug. She's eating, drinking playing and everything and it doesn't seem to be bothering her at all but it sure as **** is bothering me!!!! Should I wait and see if it gets bigger? I can't really afford a huge vet bill right now. Any and all information is welcome. Thanks so much

Ratgirrllllll

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
The only real garunteed way of knowing is to have a fine needle biopsy / aspiration done which will tell you whats inside it. If its an abcess it will also normally start the lancing process (there are 2 glands on the underside of the neck which are prone to abcesses). In general though cysts are hard and often irregular kind of lumpy stuff, they grow very very slowly and evenutally come to a head like an abcess but the material inside is more scabby or bits of fur / skin cells etc, maybe with a tiny bit of puss. An abcess is much smoother feeling firm and kind of like a full baloon, they come up fast and come to a head quickly though do better with soaking. A tumour is useually softer, more tissuey without the spring you get from the abcess baloon. They can be round or flat or lumpy, the bad ones are normally fibourous and lumpy, mammary ones are useually quite smooth and like a squashed spehere and fatty lumps are very soft and generally ovalish. Thats all fairly broad generalisations though

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much. I definitely then think it is an abscess. How will I know when it comes to a head and what should I do when that happens? My breeder has done many abscess removals or whatever and it seems to work well for her to take care of it.

·
Registered
680 Posts
This happened to Tempy. Took him to the vet and had it lanced but it came back after a few days. Took him back to the vet and she tried to treat it with meds and soaking. Didn't work. Eventually it got so big that he actually chewed it open himself. Took him back again, she cut off some dead skin around the wound and I did a good job of flushing it with saline for a few days. After that it never came back.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
It'll get a black spot. Think pimple. Then it will burst. The most important thing is to THOROUGHLY rinse it out, completely get every inch of guk out and then make a point to use a q tip and keep it open for three days rinsing it twice a day before letting it close up. Abscesses must heal inside out or they will come back and may become an infection needing medicine.

If you've raw honey, I recommend dabbing some in the popped hole. I've dealt with three or four abscesses and this is always the vet recommendation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts