Rat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are they serious with this Sh*t?! I have been working for FIVE HOURS to just try and get it put together, and there are just spots where the pegs DO. NOT. FIT. I ran out to home depot and bought a mallet, and STILL after half an hour of pounding, cannot even get the first side panel attached.

I don't have a whole garage full of tools. Some of the things I read talked about using blow torches to get the square side pegs off entirely, or drilling out the plastic bits first, or just resorting to zip ties altogether. I feel like if I paid this much money for the thing, it shouldn't be held together with friggin' ZIP TIES. (Although I did get it on sale. STILL!) Now it is just taking up the entire room, looming over me, taunting me. After hammering till my arms are numb, there is ZERO chance that I can actually put this thing together.

ARRRRRRGAAAARRRRGH!

ARGH!

I want my money back. But I can't get the thing apart to get it into my car. >.<

·
Registered
350 Posts
Oh dear, cant you get someone to help you? There shouldn't be any plastic bits on the cage other than the wheels... If you could take a photo of the pegs not fitting that would be helpful because they are much smaller than the holes they go into so it sounds strange that you are struggling with them.. The mallet you got is it heavy? I used a hammer with a bit of wood against the cage and hit the wood hard. lol :rolleyes: If it's bent or a damaged part they should replace that one part... Pictures speak a thousand words... If the square guide things are bent get a long rod like a screw driver, slide it through and use it as leverage to bend them back (the longer the rod the more powerful the leverage will be)...

I don't know what else I can suggest without more info ;D

·
Registered
870 Posts
I am so sorry you are having a problem. It really shouldn't be so difficult, though I can't speak from personal experience. My son and my husband assembled 2 DFNs and then 2 DCNs for me and my sister and I don't recall any one of them taking more than an hour. I hope you get it worked out. If you have a Petco or PetSmart nearby, maybe one of their employees, someone who has assembled these cages, could advise you?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I finally used my screwdriver like a chisel, and hammered the useless pegs out. I think, in retrospect, that they are part of the packing material--however, it says that NOWHERE in the literature, so I assumed they were supposed to be there. It went together in about an hour after I figured that lil gem out. Whew, am I beat!

Here are some pics of the pegs that, future readers who may be frustrated with their construction, you will want to remove immediately. My hubby and I were assuming that they were there to make the fit snugger and whatnot--uh uh. They are not. They are ****!

Also, a pic of my six babies being very nice to each other and very patient with their mummy.

Finger Hand Airsoft gun Trigger Thumb Gun Trigger Revolver Finger Airsoft gun Cage Muridae Art

·
Registered
350 Posts
haha yeah that's what I meant by there shouldn't be any plastic ;D. I spent a good 30 mins thinking I was one short before I realized they pop out to allow the parts to slot together. Congratz on getting it done.

·
Registered
996 Posts
So I finally used my screwdriver like a chisel, and hammered the useless pegs out. I think, in retrospect, that they are part of the packing material--however, it says that NOWHERE in the literature, so I assumed they were supposed to be there. It went together in about an hour after I figured that lil gem out. Whew, am I beat!

Here are some pics of the pegs that, future readers who may be frustrated with their construction, you will want to remove immediately. My hubby and I were assuming that they were there to make the fit snugger and whatnot--uh uh. They are not. They are ****!

Also, a pic of my six babies being very nice to each other and very patient with their mummy.

View attachment 210842 View attachment 210850 View attachment 210858
That's what happened with my last cage. No where did it say they were there. It is good they're there, though, as without them the things get misshapen. They added those plastic things fairly recently, probably because people complained that the holes would change shape and the pegs wouldn't fit.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I'm happy to hear that your cage is complete!
I'm sorry that it took you so long.

D: It took me and my sister about an hour to put it together, it certainly was a struggle.

But it'll be totally worth it once your Rat pack is in there. ^_^

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the support! After seven hours, the cage is in its first preliminary decor state. (I still have some hammocks and tubes to arrange.) Voila! Just post assembly with two accessories, and then an hour later, heeh.
Shelf Shelving Furniture Bookcase Room Cage Room Play Toy Toddler

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hopefully with some time passed, you'll just look at that cage with pride and forget all the troubles it gave you.

I was able to put mine together pretty easily, but I read about how they were easy to bend during shipping, and I can imagine how it can be frustrating for something to not fit right, especially if it's your first cage.

I don't remember those plastic bits. Maybe I got an older one from the back of the warehouse. In that case, I'm especially glad the cage didn't get damaged in transit.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Although right now you are still feeling the distress of this experience, this thread will surely help others to have a better, easier experience with their CNs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts