Rat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you in advance for reading this lengthy post, I am trying to be responsible and forgive me for posting these somewhat blurry and crude pics but its all I could get from the squirmy "doner". Some of you may have read a couple of my first posts stating that two of my adopted females came "preloaded" with surprises. While I have to seperate them VERY SOON (4 weeks old today). At various stages over the last 4 weeks I thought I had some of the sexes right but now that I can see very distinct differences I just want to confirm that the picture shown is definately of a male correct? Since these babies have were born I think I have become much better but was still mystified a few times throughout their growth spurts a couple of weeks ago and found out I was possibly wrong on a few "sex guesses".

A second question I have and this is where it may get a bit sketchy and complicated somewhat...

Do you think it will be ok to seperate the males from these two litters into the cage with my 3rd rat who is male (4 months old)? The male is from the same litter as the females but he was the "odd man out" as far as adoption went and I didn't want to leave him all alone to possibly end up spending the rest of his life alone as the owners I got them from were just keeping the two original females they owned. Not sure where the male doner for their litters went or maybe they were in the same boat as me...read on. They didn't want the burden of an extra sole male so up until the surprise births of 27 pups I was looking for a buddy for him (he gets lots of attention daily). See when we got our 3 rats we were not entirely sure how old they were exactly and the owners were entirely clear on that matter. Whether my sole male is the dad or not I cannot be certain, i would have said definately not many weeks ago, all I know is he was definately in a seperaste cage when we got there to adopt them and was not housed with the two girls ever since we adopted them but what happened before we took the last 3 of the lot is anyones guess. I assumed they knew what they were doing and responsibly seperated them but at this point I am guessing one got away from them so to speak. Seems it would have been a fine line for the females to get pregnant at that age from what I have read but regardless this is the result.

I have introduced the male to 3 or 4 of the babies from the one litter so far and while he seemed very interested in discovering them and checking them out and was a bit rough with his "inspection", he wasn't aggressive to the point of biting or causing them any stress.
This seems to be ideal for my lonely male, housing the males together until I find homes for the boys but will keep one for a cage buddy for him. They are technically family I think? lol

Please chime in with your thoughts on this. Thanks so much for the input

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well, blurry-ness aside, you can definitely see the balls so yep, he's a male.

By "rough with his inspection" I assume you mean he was being a bit grabby, e.g. harassing them a bit, but WITHOUT causing any physical harm? That's what my Matthieu (father of my own oops litter) did when I introduced him to his sons. As long as none of them making marks/drawing blood, then imo, it should be fine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, blurry-ness aside, you can definitely see the balls so yep, he's a male.

By "rough with his inspection" I assume you mean he was being a bit grabby, e.g. harassing them a bit, but WITHOUT causing any physical harm? That's what my Matthieu (father of my own oops litter) did when I introduced him to his sons. As long as none of them making marks/drawing blood, then imo, it should be fine.
Yes he was just being extremely pushy and stepped right over them a couple of times...definitely no finesse involved. ;)

At this rate then, I am looking at most of these 23 babies being males. Almost all of the 5 people interested in taking at least 2 want females.

Does it sound strange to have a total of 23 babies from two litters with at least 85% of them being male? 4 passed away from 27 originally but not sure what sexes they were.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hm. I'm not expert on the subject (only had 1 oops litter myself) but I know that having a lot of babies of the same sex does happen sometimes, both in animals and in humans. So I imagine that it's normal for rats as well.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Sex is just pretty random. Even in people it is that way. My cousin has 5 kids and only one is a girl.

I have heard of big litters where all are male lol.

My last litter I had 9 & only 3 girls.

Placing them with the older male is a bit hit or miss. No one can tell u for sure how it will go. But if he doesn't show any aggression it should be ok. Just keep watching for any signs or injuries to the babies. Any injuries at all remove the babies asap.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Ive read that some research has found that when pregnant females are only intermittently supplied with food has offspring sex ratio skew in favor of females. Unsure if plentyful food supply leads to skew towards male offspring but could be possible that the environment is affecting the sex ratio in your case?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Both moms were fed a consistent and identical supply of food each day, I would have to say it was adequate and varied. Interesting though.

I put all the males together and I think while the adult male may feel a bit overwhelmed first he seems to have welcomed all 16 boys and is enjoying the comapny thoroughly I think, after being alone for the last 4 weeks. 8 hours in and they all seem to be doing well, although they could use a bit larger cage so hopefully I am not long finding homes for the boys come the 6 week mark.

There ended up being 7 female & 16 male so a couple more girls than I thought originally so I guess my percentages were off a bit

·
Registered
908 Posts
Glad to hear he accepted them. Usually males are OK with pups as they don't view them as a threat (i.e. like they might another adult male). I've never had an issue with males accepting pups, but again, can depend on the genetics of the male and if there is aggression in his lines.

Good luck finding homes for the pups!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts