Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Rat who wet sneezes sometimes 3 or 4 times in a 5 minute period but sometimes goes an hour without doing it.
Its very frustrating as he seems otherwise very healthy, no red stuff or showing mucous, appetite good, weight steady.
At what point do you start antibiotics?
My Exotic Vet says to start Antibiotics at first sneeze. She's been treating Rats for many years and has only seen 3 Rats with allergies. She says its very rare, and sneezing always is a sign of myco trying to dominate.
I don't want to put the Rat on Antibiotics every time he sneezes, and don't know what to do.
Spider

·
Registered
107 Posts
you know, my rats are sorta the same way. i will hear sneezes every once in a while, sometimes a few times in a short period.. but other times they go for a few hours without a sneeze.

i have noticed the occasional red splotch, but its always gone the next day. my instinct tells me that there isnt really much wrong, but just in case
are there antibiotics that you dont need to get from a vet?

·
Registered
447 Posts
You could try and prevent sneezing with echinacea - one drop on a piece of bread or something they like (or if you are lucky they will just lick it off your finger) once a day for a week or 2, and then take a break for a week or 2, just like you would if you were taking it.

Get the liquid kind, not the tablets though obviously

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Don't use echinacea for more than 10 days in a row. Best to go on seven days and off 3-5 so their bodies don't develop a resistance to it and it doesn't work.

Sometimes echinacea will usually work but sometimes it isn't enough and vet care is needed. And don't get the liquid tincture that contains alcohol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts