Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got Bear neutered on the 14th of December and he was healing nicely. There is another post about his pee-pee being stuck out, but that has obviously resolved itself. Now he has an abscess... And ... ew... It smells SOOO bad... Any way... When I first noticed the lump it was about two weeks after the surgery (so last week-ish). I took him to the vet because I wasn't sure what it was and they said it was an abscess. The vet drained it and flushed it that day and said that they put some meds in it. And now this...

BearAbscess1.jpg BearAbscess2.jpg

The skin hasn't fully fallen off yet. I have read the abscess sticky and other care guides for abscess' but this is a first for me. The vet that did the neuter is not in on Wednesdays but I do have a back up vet if I need to take him tomorrow/today/1-6-16... Will cleaning it out as the sticky states be enough until Thursday? I'm really worried about it because it looks really deep. It's hard to tell with the pictures and he was not holding still for them...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looks like he was able to clean it out a bit. The skin is gone and most of the pus is gone. The hole looks big enough for a pea to fit in and not stick out much at all. I would rather take him to the vet that did the surgery because he is a much better vet than my back up. Hence why they are a back up... I haven't cleaned it out with anything yet because of the placement and I don't know if I could do it alone... And still have skin on my hands when I'm done... He also feels as though he has a fever... His feet and tail are really warm. He is acting normal. Eating and drinking. (Had a chocolate chip and whipped cream while I was trying to take new pictures.)

Attachments

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
That is actually a pretty small abscess so don't stress. Make up isotonic saline and flush the cavity twice a day and it should heal well. The saline breaks down any cheesy pus and flushes guck from inside. Just for comparison, this neuter abscess healed really well with saline flushes. Pic link in next post (graphic)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts