Rat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my does has quickly developed a large raised area on the back of her neck. It has several scabs on it that look infected, I'm taking her to the vets ASAP, but was wondering what I should do in the meantime? I was thinking of a warm compress, but should I try to drain it? Or should I leave it for now?

http://s831.photobucket.com/user/lisapizzabum/media/IMG_08822.jpg.html?filters[user]=109583018&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0 (hopefully that link works, I can't upload any more pictures via ratforum!)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
(Also her fur looks weird because I gave her an oil massage to stop her scratching, as her cage mate had mites and I don't want her to cut the scabs open if she has them too).

·
Registered
365 Posts
The photo isn't showing up for me. But if you're going to the vet, you can just do the warm compress and let the vet drain it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
How long till you see your vet? It does look like an abscess to me (again, I'm not a vet!), but I would just keep applying Bactine followed by triple antibiotic ointment with pain relief, like Bacitracin or Neosporin. Then hold her for about fifteen minutes or so to keep her or her cagemates from grooming it off.

I did this with one of my boys, and his very large wound healed nicely after the vet drained it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I should add that he was placed on antibiotics as well. Your vet will probably provide you with some.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She had been on baytril for a very swollen foot, but when this developed and the foot swelling did not go down, I took her back to the vets again. The front of her ankle area is very infected, it almost looks like it's just eating away her foot and it'll fall off, it's pus-scabby and looks so awful. The vet pulled her foot down to look at it and poked it, she screeched and bit him (obviously!). He said she may have an immune disorder which is preventing the anti-biotics from working properly, and recommended euthanasia :( I was not prepared to do this yet as she is still eating, drinking and behaving the same as always. So now she is on a second course of antibiotics and pain relief, I'm also bathing the wounds in warm saline solution to try to clear them out a bit and draw out the infection. Fingers crossed she starts to heal up soon!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also despite her ordeal and condition, when we have cuddles she boggles and bruxes like crazy! She still has a lot of fight left in her for sure.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unfortunately today when I went to check on her, there was blood everywhere. After a brief freak-out I raced her off to the vets where she was euthanised. I don't know if she was delirious from blood loss, but as soon as I started talking to her she started to brux and boggle! She definitely knew how to comfort me, and I gave her scritches right up until her last moments, which she loved. :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts