Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While wiping some baby food off Oreo today I noticed this strange lump. It looks and feels very similar to a black head or ingrown hair on a person? Maybe a few months ago we had noticed a lump around the same spot, which seemed to be just a benign fat deposit. Ive heard that cysts can pop and dry? Is that what this is? He is in great health other wise, very energetic, eating, pooping etc.

I checked him for any other lumps and found none. He's about a year and 6th months. Its in a spot he scratches regularly, he's not the biggest fan of getting his nails cut so he does have a few very small scabs on the other side. I was wondering if this might have been a scratch he caused that got infected and just scabbed weird?

No signs of sickness. Any advice would be really helpful. Thank you.
010BF4FE-4791-41A9-83A3-7A2A364FE994.jpeg

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I've had small cysts like these on boys in the past and I've left them alone and my rats were just fine. They never became large or enough of an issue to intervene. If it's at all loose, you may be able to apply pressure from behind to release it, leaving a sort of crater that should heal, but it would probably be a bit of a painful procedure for Oreo. If you feel it needs to be removed and poking at it a little bit doesn't do anything, you'd want to consult with a vet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its defiantly not lose, I read an article with similar advice where small pressure caused it to pop out. We have been on the wait list with a vet for about a month now 🤞
Thank you for the advice its very reassuring. Ill keep a close eye on it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts