Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Violet somehow got a small scab under her right eye and it's turned into an abscess. Treating the wound would be easy if it were on any other part of her body. But it's on her face and she protests by morphing into a wiggle worm and pushing the compress away. It's impossible to squeeze and flush the wound.

I need help and ideas on how to calm her down so I can clean it.

I've tried chamomile tea (which the whole mischief loves), I've tried swaddling her, I've tried to just let her wear herself out and NOTHING is working.

I HAVE to clean this thing; it's close to her eye and I'm afraid that if I can't clean it and get the friggin thing to heal she'll lose that eye, or worse, die. I've thought about ace wrapping her but haven't acted on this idea yet.

Any tips and tricks are welcome.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Is there a friend that can hold her while you apply the compress?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
ACE wrap + a friend would probably be the most helpful. They can hold her body, and you can hold her face with one hand, and clean with the other. You can burrito your rat with the ace bandage pretty tightly. But I have one girl who can wiggle out of anything, no matter where I wrap or how tightly. And if it's too tight, she makes me really nervous by becoming quiet and looking like she has trouble breathing so I unwrap her right away. I hope it works for you! If not, there is a pain medication my vet suggested on giving me that he said also makes them a little sleepy and calmer. You could try that perhaps? I'm sorry I dont know what type of med it is, I chose to get the meloxicam instead. I'm sure if you talk to a vet though, they would know what medication it is. Is it safe to give rats benedryl? It always makes me sleepy when I take it, or when my dog takes it. Maybe it would work on a rat too? Agan, I'd talk to your vet first of course.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tried that. I've flushed it as best I could and I've put her back with the others, poor girl was stressed. Here's a photo of it before I really started working on it.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ACE wrap + a friend would probably be the most helpful. They can hold her body, and you can hold her face with one hand, and clean with the other. You can burrito your rat with the ace bandage pretty tightly. But I have one girl who can wiggle out of anything, no matter where I wrap or how tightly. And if it's too tight, she makes me really nervous by becoming quiet and looking like she has trouble breathing so I unwrap her right away. I hope it works for you! If not, there is a pain medication my vet suggested on giving me that he said also makes them a little sleepy and calmer. You could try that perhaps? I'm sorry I dont know what type of med it is, I chose to get the meloxicam instead. I'm sure if you talk to a vet though, they would know what medication it is. Is it safe to give rats benedryl? It always makes me sleepy when I take it, or when my dog takes it. Maybe it would work on a rat too? Agan, I'd talk to your vet first of course.
I did the rat burrito, which she loathed, and managed to clean it as best as I could. I'm out of silver solution and can't get more till tomorrow =-= I'm just worried about the little bugger. She's still active but i know that thing can't be comfortable

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
wroth the placement i would put her on antibiotics to. amoxycillin if you've got it in.

In terms of flushing it is going to be tough. I'd probably get a wet cotton wool bud and hold it over her head and kind of follow her around add she runs around you to escape. It doesn't have to be perfect. Alternatively syringe some antibiotics straight into the hole of thete is one and leave it at that

1 - 6 of 6 Posts