Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all!

my red-eyed boy enzo's abscess burst last night. I noticed the abscess a while ago but thought it was a tumor (thank god it's not) and couldn't get into the vet. there's pus, blood, and it smells awful.
I wouldn't have a problem flushing it out, but he's very skittish. he lets me pet him sometimes and tolerates me holding him for a few seconds, but after that, he's squirming in my hands trying to get away. I have no idea how I'm going to flush it out if he's squirming and scratching. any advice? thanks!

Registered
2 little boys reserved in 3 months!
Welcome! Leave him in his cage! Take a wet cotton swab and gently clean him with that! He will clean out most of it by himself, he just needs a bit of help!

Registered
Oliver Bean, Phyllis, Waffle, Taco, Atlas, Cirrus, Orion
Fill the bathroom sink with warm water first, so he isn't frightened by running water. Wrap him in a towel so he can't get away and hold him firmly over the sink. He will calm down after a minute when he feels your firm grip...it's very reassuring to them when they know you are in control. Flushing and expressing the pus should only be done once, then after that it's just saline solution only if needed. Just remember, it has to heal from the inside out, so keep the abscess open. It will take a week or more for it to be mostly healed, but they are amazing creatures and heal very quickly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts