Rat Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little guy, Chubs, developed an abscess over the weekend. It has since ruptured and is developing a scab. We met with the vet yesterday and he prescribed both oral antibiotics and a topical cleaning solution to be applied daily. In cleaning the wound, I've noticed the scab forming. I didn't think to ask the vet about the scab, but I have read on multiple threads and websites that the abscess needs to heal from the inside out, and that the scab will only lock any remaining bacteria in. I've also read that when a scab forms, it should be removed. Chubs is a squirmy little guy, and just trying to clean his wound has been enough of a hassle. I do, however, want the best for him, even if that means struggling to remove the scab.

My first question for all of you is if it truly is necessary that I remove the scab. And if so, how do you suggest I go about doing it? Will it hurt him if I pick it off? I don't want him in any more pain than he has already endured... but I also don't want another abscess to form from any remaining bacteria...

1 - 1 of 1 Posts