Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 4 days ago when I was handling Delilah (1 year old Dumbo) I found a small bump, like 1/4 the size of a pea about 1cm above her urethra. I didn't think much of it, but now, checking on it again, its about the size of a pea, no denying it. Somethings there.. This is the first ever "lump" that I've ever had on any of my rats and I really need to know what to do. I know mammary tumors are fairly common in females so could this be that? Or maybe an abscess because it go so large fairly quickly? I will try and post a photo when I can but until then, any help is amazing. Delilah is my baby girl and I would be devastated if this was a tumor.. :(

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I'm getting to be a rat lump veteran. I feel like I am always dealing with one with 9 girls. An abscess will form a head, like a big pimple. My girls haven't had one yet. Lump is usually a tumor though it might be a cyst. My vet always aspirates lumps to make sure it isn't a cyst. I'm not sure if there is any other way to tell. I know those grow ridiculously fast. A cyst can be drained by a vet with a needle.

Your best bet is to take her to the vet to get it removed. My vet charges about $150 - $200 to remove it and that includes pain meds and antibiotics.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok Thankyou! Since it is so small, should I wait a while or go to the vet now. My parents are always very reluctant to take my animals to the vet unless it's an absolute emergency. No doubt they'll tell me to wait, and I'm not quite old enough to drive on my own yet, so what should I do? Tell them it's an emergency and she needs to go now, or is this something that I should wait on a bit because it is so small?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bump

1 - 5 of 5 Posts