Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all you rattie owners

It's been a while since I've been on the forum, pretty much since my last rat was put to rest. I now have a question about her sister, Panji.

She is an old rat, over 2 years old. She has had a mammary tumor for a few months now, and of course as anticipated it has grown a lot. I keep a close eye on it and have taken her to the vet several times just to have the vet check her out and make sure she's good and it's not bothering her. I was hoping that it would be safe to remove it when I first found it on her, but the vet is very wary, she said it's really risky to put an old rat under, the likelihood of them making it through surgery is slim. Plus it wasn't giving her problems, and still isn't aside from lopsidedness when she scampers around :rolleyes:

The thing that really saddens me though is according to the vet, once it abscesses, it's time to say goodbye. It's just such a shame because other than the tumor she really doesn't act her age, she's still so full of energy (not as much as before but that's expected) and otherwise really healthy.

My question for all you wonderful people, have you had experience with this situation? Is it really a death sentence for older rats when a tumor abscesses?

It's so big, I can feel the dreaded day coming closer :(

·
Registered
222 Posts
You really shouldn't wait til the tumor ulcerates. It's extremely painful and because tumors eat up a great deal of the rat's blood supply, they can bleed out easily and/or go septic. In my opinion, it's better to worry you let them go just a little too soon than to know you did it too late and caused a lot of suffering in the end. I know it's hard. *hug*

1 - 2 of 2 Posts