Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mentioned in my foster rat thread how badly these two girls were abused. Two grown rats spent their whole life in fear in a critter keeper so small they couldn't turn around or stand up with layers of soiled newspaper under them, no toys, and rotten fruit to eat. They never got a chance to play, love or be loved, or even lay in a cozy bed until now.

If you EVER need a reason to adopt or even foster an animal...

Vertebrate Rat Mammal Muridae Gerbil

Spice's very first time in a hammock. This was taken hours ago. She hasn't left it since. :D

Sugar is still shy but being blind, she is taking a bit longer to adjust. The tissue box she is in is literally about the size of the box she was living in when brought in to the Humane Society with Spice. She seems more comfortable in small spaces but every day she is getting better!

Rat Muridae Gerbil Muroidea Rodent

·
Registered
624 Posts
This makes me so freaking happy, I love you! Haha.

I am filling out my fostering application for my Local Humane Society as I type this.

This was my correspondence with the Humane Society and I'm sooo happy!:

ME:

Hi there, Heather and Lindsay!

My name's Nikki.
I just wanted to let you know I am available to foster Fancy rats.

If there's anything I need to know/complete in regards to be able to foster, please let me know.

You can also contact me at: **********

I have an in depth experience with fancy rats. (I currently own 6 males) I know what to expect and know certain rat temperament may vary depending on their previous living situations and I am more than willing to rehabilitate them as I genuinely enjoy working with the animal.

Males and females will be kept in separate cages and their play times will be separate (Don't want any babies!)

If I qualify, please let me know!

I'm super excited to be a part of your wonderful organization.

Humane Society:

Hi Nikki,

Thank you for your email and for your interest in fostering fancy rats! That is just such excellent news as our two main small animal volunteers are actually deadly allergic to fancy rats so when we have them in the shelter they have to be in a separate room and they don't get as much play time. When we get more fancy rats I'll certainly be in touch! In the mean time, please complete the attached fostering application so we have all the paperwork done ahead of time :)

Muuuuch excited!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seriously, it will change your life helping out like that. :D I am so glad I decided to do it. Look at that little Spicy face! It makes me smile every time. It took her a couple days to get brave enough to try the hammock, now she won't leave.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I'm just kinda worried, though. I have 8 male fancy rats now.
What if I needed to foster a female, wouldn't my boys go crazy? D;

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have four females and five intact males in the same room, in separate cages (the boys are in a divided DCN) and they're all fine - No one seems to pay any mind to each other. Except the boys in their little upstairs and downstairs apartments, who seem to make it their missions in life to torment each other.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts