Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aoife is still having respiratory issues, and the vet added meloxicam (1.5mg/mL) once per day on top of her ABs to help with possible inflammation. Well I gave her her evening doses of her ABs and accidentally also gave the meloxicam (which I usually only do in the morning). I was just kind of on autopilot since I have so many meds to dish out to different rats. Will she be ok? Is there anything to worry about? She is given 0.2 mL as the dose.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
629 Posts
I am like 95% sure that it'll be just fine if someone wants to back me up. The doses for rats aren't usually enough to hurt them if accidentally done twice daily instead of once.
Make sure to read this over but I couldn't find anything saying to be very careful about overdose. Your dose isn't even the highest (2mg/ml) so I think that she will be just fine. I was reading over some stuff on google and someone said somewhere the old recommended dose was .2-.4 and she'd only be getting .3 so if the dose per day was .4 and that wasn't causing harm then one day at .3 will be okay.
http://ratguide.com/meds/nsaids/meloxicam.php
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,580 Posts
The chances of her reacting adversely to the double dose are very, very low.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your input. I actually went straight to that page once I realized what I had done and didn't see overdose issues either. I saw their recommended dosages, but it didn't say at which concentration the dosages were for. I give her 0.2 once a day, but today she got it twice so it was 0.4 total for the day, 12 hours apart. It's been a few hours since I posted this and she seems to be ok.

I know it's not good to give long term since it can effect the kidneys and liver I think. I think she might be ok, I think it might have also helped her terrible wheezing. But either way, I'll call the vet tomorrow and hopefully she'll be able to call me back this weekend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! She seems ok so far, so I'm a little less worried!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually, it sounds like she's still wheezing/snuffling quite a bit. It's mostly in her sinuses. She is under a tented cage with a steam humidifier that has a couple drops of oregano oil. Is that something that could help her more? She is also getting a bit of the super dark chocolate.

She's on enrofloxacin/baytril and doxycycline. She has been on it for a week, and I called the vet to tell her it hasn't seemed to help, and the vet added meloxicam to help with possible inflammation and to wait another week. But I'm scared to wait much longer, she sounds very snuffly all the time now. Is there anything I can do at least over the weekend to help her until I can talk to the vet more on Monday?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
337 Posts
What dose of baytril and doxy are you giving? If there was no improvement after 3 days I'd be wanting to either up dose or switch to something different, azithromycin would be my next choice.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top