Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every once in a while I will check the local humance scociety website for rats they may have. Well, I just looked and they have six girls up for adoption. Four of them have been there for a couple weeks and the others just got in yesterday, I think.
Thing is, I feel bad for these six girls, but I know I can't have them. And guess what? One is a hairless dumbo, and even though I'm not a fan of the nakie rats, she looks so cute in the picture!

Okay, now I have some questions. Do any of you know what animal shelters keep the rats in? Do they treat them well? Will they adopt them out to anyone? Do they make people take them in pairs? And how long to the keep the rats before they are PTS?

I'm know I'm getting myself in trouble here, but I just want to know. I was thinking of running out and getting a FN and grabbing up all six of them, but my mom would murder me BEFORE I even told her about it ><
*smacks head on computer desk*

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
each shelter/HS is different. We have a no-kill shelter here but they will take in rats and adopt them out sick. They are proud of their no-kill but they also don't euthanize sick animals either since that will effect their stats.

Some will keep rats for a long time and treat them decently, some will euthanize right away since they are of the "eww rats" mentality, or they need the room or only keep them for their stray period. Why don't you call and ask what their policy is?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Calling sounds like a good idea.
There is a mouse there who had been at the shelter for a long time. Almost a year I think, so I don't believe they put them down if no one adopts. They aren't a no kill shelter though, so maybie I should begin to talk my mom into it...

·
Registered
347 Posts
I agree with lilspaz68, you'll need to call the rescue before making any arrangements.

I feel sorry for that mouse who's been in for a year (though I wouldn't be able to even consider getting it).

The nakie dumbo rat sounds extremely cute! :D

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I rescued my first mouse from a RSPCA centre, he'd been there over a year and when I saw him he was absolutely OBESE! They'd said outright that he got very little play time to excercise and he lived in a little tank with only a wooden house and food bowl to play with.

We only had him maybe 6 months - but he was such a happy little chap once we'd gotten him out of that dive :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.