Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ello, been a little while.

Cheddars, my older rat about 1 year or so maybe older lately has been acting a bit odd lately. He seems to be slower, he's breathing (could be wrong) seems to be slower. Typically a rat breaths breath-breath, breath-breath, breath-breath... Cheddars is more like Breath---Breath, Breath---Breath... etc... slower breath.

I let him out to observe him and he does his usual exploring, hops out of his house when he hears the yogies, and still eats. I wonder if he is drinking because the water bottle isnt going down as fast.

I have 3 theories as to why (if there is a problem)

1. Temperature change in the room has gotten colder (fall)
2. New Detergent? (he is itching)
3. Age?

Provolone has been acting fine... so I dont know what to think... Anything I should consider or know?

PS: There isnt any crustys around his nose or eyes... So I dont think its an URI

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
If his breathing is affected I would still wonder about pneumonia and such, even without crusties. But breathing speed is kinda hard to diagnose over a keyboard. :lol:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha I know! I couldn't figure it out! But his breath is slow when compared to Provvy. What should I look for with pneumonia? Will it cure itself or is it just best to get medicine?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Labored breathing could be pneumonia or the beginning of URI. It could maybe be Chronic Heart Failure or something of the sort. Either way, a vet check is needed. Always better safe than sorry, so I'd highly recommend a vet check ASAP. Just the fact that you can tell the difference in breathing between the two rats is a red flag. The slowing down in addition *could* indicate the heart, so it's very much time for the vet.

If it's nothing major, then that's a relief!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts