Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two six month old female rats, utterly delightful and a few prangs with each other (one barbers the other's head) but nothing too serious.

that is, they share a 4' long x 18" deep, x 12" wide aquarium with rockery, hammock, big cabin log shape hidey hole, and when I'm 'in' they are allowed out to climb up on top of the aquarium meshed lid and also up a CD rack to get to the top of a bookcase, where one sleeps.

However, she tends to want to be apart from the other female quite a bit, although they do cuddle up quite a bit too.

So my question is this:
would it hurt to buy 2 younger females to add, so that they can cuddle up together or would it be inviting problems?

I have had opposing viewpoints from 2 pet shops, both passionate about rats and their upkeep. Any thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Before you get two new females you need to consider a few things.

You will need a seperate cage big enough for the two new youngs ones, and you will need to keep them seperate from the older ones for at least 3 weeks, preferably in a different room (clean air space), for quarantine. You will then need to move the cages close together so that the rats can smell each other and get used to the scent.
Then you'll need to put them in a bathtub or neutral play area (somewhere that doesn't smell like either set of rats), every day for a while to get them used to each other.
Then it MIGHT be safe for them to live together. This is the safest way to prevent territory fights etc.
See THIS THREAD

Also you need to use the cage calculator to figure out if you have room for two more rats. Keep in mind that you have an AQUARIUM, which really is never recommended for rats, as the ventilation is not good, and the ammonia from stale urine can cause respiratory problems in rats. I would suggest getting a proper cage, so that your rats will he happier and over all, live longer!

Perhaps if you consider these things, you also might think about *resucing* a couple of females, instead of buying them. There are loads of rats who don't have loving homes, and by buying from pet stores, you are usually encouraging rat mills, bad genetics and therefore you may end up with unhealthy rats, with bad temperaments which may lead to fighting or worse with your other rats.

Rats can be very expensive to keep as you may or may not already know, health problems NEED vet care, and this alone can be very expensive, along with the added expense of medicines etc. Four rats are not that much harder to LOOK AFTER than two, but when it comes to expenses, you'll need more food, more space, more toys, more vet bills and medicine, and over all... more money. Only consider getting more rats if you *know* you can afford it. After all, if one fell sick, you wouldn't want to be the one who had to deny them health care because you couldn't afford to keep them in the first place.

If you do get two more rats, you might want to think about doing what I know some people in the community do, and put say... $10 away a month, or as much as you can afford, and then if (hopefully not though!) you have a ratty emergency, you'll have the money there.

I hope this was helpful :).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts